My poor Gillian is a wreck.
She has always been emotional but these days she is a walking tantrum. I am trying to determine what is okay and what has to be handled differently around our house.
I know she is in pain but I just can't tell what is going on--she says that both legs hurt now sometimes but she isn't limping anymore. I need to get some support from the doctoro for both what is going on physically as well as how I can help her cope during my next appointment.
Which is Wednesday.
It might not sound like a big deal, but when your child could be in pain all day, how hard do you come down on her for falling apart at the seams? When does her tantrum become a behavior problem?
So here is what I have come up with and I would love any other advice on this:
1) Crying is okay as long as it isn't loud and disturbing the peace in general. This behavior is preferred in your room but you can do it quietly anywhere.
2) If you are hurting you need to tell mommy so she can help you or get you medicine if you need it.
3) Just because you are tired or hurt, that doesn't make it okay to be mean to people. No yelling "I hate you Bridget" or hitting mommy because you are mad. You still have to be nice.
4) If you do have a tantrum, we are canceling any activities for the afternoon and going straight home (this is tougher to enforce because it messes up the other kids sometimes.)
5) Majority still rules. You don't get two votes because you hurt. This is the toughest one because usually you are irrational by the time we are voting. Example: Do you want to watch Madagascar 2 or Up? 2 vote for Up and you vote for Madagascar. You still lose, even if you are super grumpy and sick and tired. Also, 2 votes for the Habit beats your 1 vote for Jack-in-the-Box. PS The Habit is way better anyway.
6) When you have your second tantrum within five minutes of the previous one, just go to bed.
So... these seem really simple, but when you have four children and one of them is constantly crying, it is really sad. Once she went to bed at 4:30 pm and it was the nicest evening we have had in a very long time. I feel bad saying that but it is true.
I know she has always been emotional but I so rarely get to see her joyful little smile these days, it makes me extremely sad. Any advice is appreciated. If you saw how sad she was all the time it would tear at your little heartstrings. Remember how cute her happy face and her crocodile tears for the saddy from this post? Cry for me, Argentina.
I have no advice, but your list seems fair and what is best for Gillian.
ReplyDeleteI hope that the doctor is solid and has some ideas for you.
That's a tough one. One of my kids went through a phase when he was about 5, where he would cry when anything didn't go his away, which was about ten times a day. Very annoying. So I know G's in pain and all, and her sitch is different, but what I did to make my kid stop crying was give him a reward at the end of the day if he could go an entire day without crying. By day two, he was cured. I kept the rewards going for a few weeks, and then that was it. I made an exception for if he got hurt, but he never got hurt anyway, he was just being a pain in the A is all. Maybe you could tell G that if she is hurting, first thing she needs to do is ask for medicine, and then if she needs to cry she can. And she has to do it in that order. Otherwise, she'll just keep telling you AFTER she gets in trouble that the reason she was crying was bc her legs hurt. I like your rules. They're the perfect balance! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm crying for you, Argentina, and for Gillian. I'll pray for you.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is breaking.
ReplyDeleteThat makes me sad. Poor Gillian. Your list seems pretty reasonable, allowing her opportunity to express her pain without the drama. It seems to me that she is using every chance possible to get attention. I like Jenny ESP's suggestion of rewards for no-cry/tantrum days. That way your giving her praise for dealing with her situation and pain but also freeing yourself and family from the negative. Good luck! I'll be praying for you guys. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help-- especially in Primary (though she seems to be doing better there...)
ReplyDeleteOh Lee. I'm my heart hurts for your family. I love you guys so much. Wow, this is a trial and a half.
ReplyDeleteThat is rough. For you and Gillian.
ReplyDeleteI think your rules are a good idea. I'm more of a pushover, so when Chris broke his leg he watched movies and got treats all day long.
I have a really awesome book that might help you out a little bit. Let me know when you're back in town and I will bring it by. I love little Gillian and hope the best for her, for you, and for the rest of your wonderful family.
ReplyDelete