Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Relaxation

I can't quite get into the social mode--I didn't see anyone for two days in a row and I only have five days left!  Last week was just too overwhelming for me.  Plus my BFF has not responded to any texts or emails I have sent her in the last several weeks (though I did get an invite to charadium so maybe she is just busy)

I can't really summarize what happened last week but I think I broke inside for a while.  This is an emotional job, trying to help shift people and processes, and systems-- but this story might help illuminate the highs and lows I experienced, the level of responsibility for change, and how hard it is to make an impact on so many people in such a short time.

L:  We are here to talk about classroom management (for the non-teachers, this is a phrase we often use for "kids acting bad in your class and how you handle them")
Aussie guy: Okay let's role play, who wants to practice being the teacher?
Teacher: Me, I will do it!
(Scene:  L and Aussie guy are in a student group, Aussie guy refusing to let me contribute, my body language is obviously angry)

Teacher: Hi, what is going on in this group?
Aussie guy: I am just doing all the work, like usual
Teacher: (directs herself to me): And what is your contribution to this group?
L: You are looking at it.
Teacher: (starts crying) That was really cruel
Room of teachers: (awkward silence)
L: (freaking out that the entire room is full of participants who hate me because I was mean to this teacher in a role play) Oh, I mean, my group member doesn't ever let me contribute, you know, I am really angry at HIM, you know, like I am so mad at HIM because he wouldn't take my word
Teacher: (finishes scene up pretty well considering the breakdown)
____________________
Scene wraps up and I tried to smooth it over by saying "oh sorry, I just got really into the role play, you probably remembered some awkward moments with students too, so let's figure out how to address this in our class in the fall!"
__________________
I was completely mortified for the rest of the day and felt like I needed to do something for teacher person.  I see her in the hallway and the following conversation ensues:

L:  Soooo sorry about yesterday, I felt so bad!
Teacher: (confused) What are you talking about?
L:  You know, the role play?
Teacher: Oh that was so fun!  I love to do improv acting! I take classes.

Wow.

Too bad the rest of the teachers didn't realize she was so good because check out my feedback:

"I felt that the instructor put people on the spot in multiple instances. There would also be a question of whether the instructor(s) understand adult learning theory. Part of me hopes that is the issue and that it is not a rudeness issue."

I still haven't recovered.

7 comments:

  1. Who is this "improv" teacher, Michael Scott? What an awkward moment.

    Sorry you're feeling so down both professionally and personally. Come back soon and I'll make you something chocolatey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acting classes! Tears on demand. Wow.

    It is hard to recover from things like that. I would give you a hug and we could exercise together to cheer you up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she was acting, like she claims, why does she think breaking down crying is a good management tool? Good thing she doesn't take kung-fu classes or you woulda been flattened instead of just mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband told me that in Elders Quorum some guy shared a story about a particularly hard day his wife had once. At the time he had neglected to help her and she was devastated. He shared a bunch of details about the day and got all teary in the process of retelling. As he wrapped up the story he regained composure and said, "Now, this didn't really happen. I am an actor by profession and I just wanted to give you an example of how important it is to support your wives." The brethren were NOT impressed, to say the least. Sorry Lee. I hope you can heal from this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo funny slash sad.

    Bright side: Maybe this is a trend, and none of the escalator screams were real either?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't we all actors?

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pishawright. She's no actor. She was probably just trying to save face because she was being such a baby. Who cries over something like that?!

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios