This is not appropriate for a blog post but it has changed my essence to more of a blue aura so I am going to share it anyway.
Many people go through hard times in their lives and don't want to share it in public because it is so painful. But I have heard it said that blogging your troubles can ease your worries so please forgive me for sharing something so raw and close to my heart.
My company took away my Macbook Pro and provided me with a Lenovo.
There. I said it.
People can argue that a PC is really comparable to a Mac, that they are so EXPENSIVE etc. But to quote Michael Scott, do you know what is even more expensive? Ignorance.
To name just a few of my personal challenges:
--My new machine is racist. There is no way on a this laptop (other than converting your uiojklm to a ten key) to create accent marks on the web. People say that you can do it yet no one, no forum, no helper person has been able to tell me how to do this. Convert your keyboard it says. Well you know what? I don't need to convert, YOU need to catch up Lenovo. On a Mac it is opt e, ALL the time. There is no alt+130, or alt+164 or alt+8796246
--The trackpad is from you know where. They made it all bumpy for some kind of tactile response, but the think doesn't actually work--the scrolly feature? Yah, lame. It does work with a rolling mouse so then I have to carry around an extra 24/7. They threw in that red dot looking thing but it offers nothing but a Hinduiy feeling.
--The search feature, while far superior to the old version of Windows, only allows you to search in that ONE folder, not your whole machine by default like in my old (three years old) Mackypoo.
--The cursor just kind of has a mind of its own. It does not bend to my will and half the time it only pretends that it is around where you think it is but when you start typing you have jumped the page. Wha?
I could go on and on but I will end with two essential key points:
-The Lenovo machine I have is supposed to be highly reviewed, fast, etc. But guess what? the outside of this machine looks exactly the same as the model designed SEVEN years ago. Catch up people! This is the age of design.
--When the machine is closed, I can't turn it over and push a button to see my battery life. SUCH a ripoff.
Oh and btw, this machine broke the first week I had it and I have to open it with a credit card to get the spring to open. The "TLC package" that our IT team bought for me to "make up for the fact that I won't be able to use the genius bar" has been unable to address the matter for three weeks. Three weeks. Backorder. And they didn't even check it out to see if I needed that particular piece. If this were an Apple product, I would have had the entire machine replaced with a big fat sorry from a very adorable twenty something apple sales guy within minutes. A profuse apology even.
So once again, please accept my apology for sharing something so intimate and believe me there are a lot of details I left out.
I would appreciate if if you wouldn't try to talk me out of my passion for Apple, Inc. by referencing their bullying of Adobe or how they have now become more capitalist profiteers than Microsoft whom they previously accused of being overly capitalistic and profiteerish. I don't really care about their politics, I just want my machine back.
Oh Lee... I feel your pain. I have to use a Lenovo for work too. My co-workers think I am a nut because I yell at it all the time. I have NEVER ONCE needed to yell at my 6 year old MacBook.
ReplyDeleteDearest Flem, It is with great sorrow that I write to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We have a great love and loyalty to our Mac. I can't imagine the way you must truly be feeling at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please don't feel a need to apologize for sharing your emotions. The world needs to know how shameful some of these other machines can be. I wish I lived close enough to organize a gno or a lenovo burning party. ;) I hope you at least still have the use of your iPhone. With love, StandsMom
ReplyDeleteHow 'bout that right-click, though, eh? Not too shabby.
ReplyDeleteHere's how I get accents on the web. I simply type it up in word, after changing the language to espanol, and then let the spellchecker add them in for you. I don't know any of the alt+678 tricks. If you have a word like ayudo however, and you want to say it in the 3rd person singular preterit instead of 1st person singular present, then you have to copy/paste an o with an accent from somewhere else in your document. If you don't have one, you have to think of a word like comodo that always has an accent on the o, type it, let spellchecker add it on, and then copy/paste it into the correct location, but don't forget to delete the random word that you wrote just to get the accent. Once you have finished, you can copy/paste the whole thing into whatever you are doing on the web. Or just leave them out and hope no one notices.
ReplyDeleteSee? I don't need a fancy schmancy Macbook. Jenny brings up a good point, just think about that right-click and maybe that will outweigh all the other stuff.
Um, I right click on my Mac all the live-long day. Just did for fun, actually.
ReplyDeleteBut srsly... your trials. To quoth the Flemmy (regarding my nearly broken toe): "you are very brave to have survived this traumatic event."
You know there are starving people in Africa who would give anything for your Lenovo (and electricity).
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
ReplyDeleteApple stocks are a good investment.
Btw, if you shipped the Lenovo to Zimbabwe and got yourself a Mac, people in Africa would still starve.
And also boo, you don’t get to visit your mecca when it needs repair.
ReplyDeleteThis is when it's nice to have never known the difference. The attachment I have to just my iPod is unhealthy and maybe illegal in starving countries...so I can't imagine having a whole computer that was as awesome...only to have it taken away. ::: picturing someone trying to take away my iPod and wondering if I would..actually ..go thru with the suey on the spot thing ::: But you srsly sound super ungrateful.
ReplyDeleteLee, I know this is a terrible tribulation for you. I'm sorry you now have to live like the rest of us schmucks. Best wishes to you.
ReplyDelete