Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Mad Skillz

I am a one trick pony.

I have spent the last two months in a work tunnel.

At some point this year, I became so busy that I realized that I wasn't living my life, rather I was just going through the motions of what a life ought to be.

Shower? Check.
Food? Check. Check. Check.
Oh. Diet? Check.
Bathroom? Right, barely made it, check.
Kids? Ignore. Check.
Kids? Stop ignoring long enough to prevent another sibling fight. Check.
Unromantic chain restaurant dinner for Anniversary? Check.
Make time to see a friend? Check.
Call someone? Check.

I used to love to travel to see my friends, it has always fueled my energy. But over the last several months I have used all of my brain power in my work to where even seeing people I love feels like I am burdening them.

Part of the reason I am mourning the loss of Katie is because she was always so willing to listen to my work tales. I have a good story for you, btw, call me. And also weird I am sad she moved when I am not even in Santa Barbara.

I plan on emerging from this cloud in late October. If you see me before then, I am sorry if I can't generate anything of interest, but here are a few updates, to help spark a conversation if I seem lagging:

1) We are not going to go back to Santa Barbara until... August 22.

2) We are very seriously examining moving to Utah in December or March after that. We have to investigate the ramifications for remote work with an advisor and tuition stuff so it is not set, but looking like a pretty decent chance.  I don't know what that means or how we will make it happen but it is at least a more interesting topic than school.

3) I got a droid incredible, my iphone will be powered down forever once I get home, get my box, and send it off to NC for Jen. You can give me crap about it if you want, but since your phone number is probably not in my new phone, your rude texts will just be from a number, not a name so therefore removes the depth of your insult.  BTW, Words with Friends is only iphone for now.  Tres sad. I think I can play with the wireless though.

4) I had a wonderful conference, thank you. I am going to have a self-indulgent moment and let you know that it was a smashing success. A bunch of things went wrong (one thing REALLY wrong but no deets, sorry) but overall the teachers in this network are so incredible that it couldn't help but be great.

















5)  We took a drive downtown Chicago last night and went to a dueling piano place where much dancing was to be had.  It was like a non-stop dancing fest with some friends that I used to teach with in Sac and it was a tremendous energy release after two months of crazy work.  I truly love the friends I made teaching and so many days of my life I wish to be back in the classroom.  There is nothing like the bond that you build with other teachers when you are in a special school, making a difference in education in the country.


If you are unlucky enough to have to see my boring self in the next few weeks, ask me about dueling pianos.

7 comments:

  1. You are NEVER boring. Can I selfishly say that I would be thrilled to have the Flem Fam in Utah. We could go to International Cinema together, etc. I'm sad I missed your calls (call again when you feel like it). And I totally wish I could have seen (participated) in that dance-fest. You're the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not you too! You guys can't leave SB so soon! I thought we still had at least another 2 years of Fleming time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Utah? Really? Hmmmm....I think I like it. It will definitely up my chances of seeing you. What part of UT are you talking about, specifically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to pinpoint why this post seems so very sad to me. I'm thinking 1-3 is to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the conference went well! If you are a one trick pony, at least you're Seabiscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No!!! We'll be in SB for Christmas, but I can't say when we'll be in Utah again. So I have a better chance of hanging out with you if you are in Santa Barbara. How about working remotely from Florida? No oil on the Atlantic coast yet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios