I love being an American.
I joke about the downside of democracy, like trying to actually cast a vote for someone whose position makes no sense to me, or voting yes or no to a series of judges who I am not qualified to assess but I assume most Americans take my approach to only vote on people and things you have researched and therefore leave blank most of the ballot. I vote for the State Super because I have some knowledge here, you vote for the state controller because you know what that guy will do, and the attorneys vote for the judges.
A friend posted this tremendous quote on my facebook page:
"No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill, 1947"
Indeed.
So in watching the concession speeches and acceptances, I started to feel a tug in my chest, a desire to really and truly believe in a candidate to the point of tears at a heartbreaking loss or enthusiasm late at night waiting for the win.
Interestingly, what did it for me was the concession speech of a Pennsylvania Senator who I have absolutely zero knowledge about--he could be a complete criminal or the humble guy he seems in this clip--but his grace at losing the election was something that I hope that all politicians can aspire to and one day I would like to support a candidate--party aside-- whose concession speech makes me cry because I care so much about the cause, or gives me an adrenaline rush.
So thank you Congressman Sestak for the lesson in sportsmanship and class and one day I hope to find my own candidate to support and throw my time and resources behind--maybe even *volunteer on the campaign trail.
*Once the kids are older of course
Can HE run for prezzie? But srsly, why won't his daughter be quiet?
ReplyDeleteMy dad's mayor. I had a flashback to my favorite SNL skit.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dewdkhCotuc
Whoa, I think we all know who would REALLY be in charge if he was elected. His daughter, for sure.
ReplyDelete"I assume most Americans take my approach to only vote on people and things you have researched and therefore leave blank most of the ballot."
ReplyDeleteNot my wife. She came home from voting and told me, "Well, it's easier to keep judges out than remove them, so I voted NO to every one." I left them blank.
Touching! That was the best concession speech I've heard since you took 2nd in the dessert contest.
ReplyDelete