Bridget didn't understand why she had to do her chore three times (dishes) and her brother only did his twice (cleaning off the counter tops).
The following conversation ensued:
Mom: Look, it is spring break, you are generating more dishes so when it is your day to do that job, you will do it more frequently. So will the person who is on garbage, that is just the way it works. I believe in equity, not fairness.
Bridget: What is the difference?
Mom: Equity means that every person has an equal shot at society (this is where I start to degenerate and change the point of my argument with her). Say a family has their house burn down, the parents both lose their jobs, and the kids don't have anything to eat. Then another family, with parents who have a good job and a big house, they are eating a frosty for dessert (gesturing to our own frosty desserts on the table). They both go to the food bank, who should get the dinner?
Bridget: They both should get the same amount (said with sarcasm).
Mom: You are a jerk. I am not raising kids who believe that.
Casey: That is a bad example.
Bridget: Why would the rich family be at the food bank?
Casey: Duh, because they are giving the food bank food
Steve: Wait, what if they are at the food bank because they feel entitled and just want more food?
Bridget: No, let me give you an example, there is a short guy, a medium guy, and a tall guy. There are all these crates and they are trying to watch a game. They each get a crate. And then someone comes along and says "Hey, those guys didn't even buy tickets to watch the game, why are they getting to watch it for free?"
Needless to say, I did the dishes myself (though I did guilt trip her the entire time, resulting in a clean living room.)

Boy, this makes me miss our conversations on evening walks around UCSB. Although, any more exposure to arguments this convincing, and Jack & I may have become a political house divided.
ReplyDeleteLoved this!