Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Economic Benefits of SAHMs

Several months ago someone posted this very thoughtful response to a woman who saw herself as a moocher because she hadn't contributed financially to the household.  I highly suggest you read the post.

Since I read it, I have had this post swirling in my head and today, after rereading what cannot be possibly real from Amy Glass , I am finally putting the thoughts together.

As a woman who works and travels a significant portion of the year (100 days or so) I feel like it is not those SAHMs, but rather I am actually the moocher off of these women.  Here are some representative examples:

  • If I can't make it to soccer practice because I have a conference call, it is always a woman who is home with children who rescues me
  • I get texts from these women who remind me about events at the school and get me signed up for volunteer opportunities I would have missed otherwise
  • My children see these women as attentive and happy mothers and therefore my children have a positive experience with women who are at home in order for them to genuinely see it as a choice a woman can make
  • Women who are at home with children during the day teach top quality dance and gymnastics classes at an almost embarrassingly low rate, just so kids in the neighborhood (like mine) can have the opportunity
A picture taken by one of my SAHM friends when I was out of town on soccer picture day.  Guess whose kid doesn't have a uniform shirt?


I am not the only one who benefits from these women, my entire community benefits.  The schools in the area have enough parent volunteers to provide an entire army of reading pals to support a school reading program for struggling readers to get extra help.  These same women are fundraising, carpooling to sporting and music events on behalf of children who are not their own, and volunteer hundreds of thousands of hours in soccer, the library and a half dozen other local programs.  

The city of Orem, in fact, has a pool of free, educated, skilled hands that are ready at a moments notice to help out.  Cities with large numbers of educated at-home mothers have access to local resources in ways that government spending can never compensate for regardless of the amount.

We are as a community, in a word, rich.  And often I wonder if the money that I earn working isn't as valuable as the time that these women volunteer.  I am not donating that kind of time to the community, I am simply reaping the rewards.

It is this reaping that makes me a moocher, a parasite on the women who without even blinking help me raise my children.

I do, however, also have some hope that these women benefit from my work as well.  I financially contribute to these same activities, maybe even a little more out of guilt for not being there in person.  I, too, am providing a role model of a woman who makes a choice.  A choice to work not for the money or because I have to, but because I feel a sense of purpose and love my profession.  I also believe that what I learn in my job I share with my community and I hope in small way that this is seen as a contribution too.

I think this whole mommy wars thing is made up.  We live symbiotically and collectively contribute to our children together. If there is a war, though, I might have to switch teams and hang out with the SAHMs because I bet their food storage is more organized.


6 comments:

  1. Your point of view is not only interesting, but inspiring, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post speaks to me so much. Two of my very good friends are SAHMs and I couldn't have raised my boys without them! Admire and respect them greatly, at times we have all wanted to trade lives, thinking the grass was greener, but we have always supported each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An absolutely beautiful read, Lee! I like to think that all mothers are on the same team, we're just wearing different numbers on our jerseys, and playing different positions. There are even moms like Casey who aren't wearing jerseys at all, but we still invite them to playgroups and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are eloquent and insightful, as always. I always appreciate your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My master's thesis was based on interviews with women regarding the home/work split. One woman told me about all the volunteer work she used to do as a sahm that she no longer did as a working mother. I asked her, "Well, who does all that stuff now?" Other SAHMs, she said.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios