Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Artiste

Steve and I were discussing how much digital photography has changed the photo industry--like everything else, technology has made luxury more accessible to the common man.  Friends can now take photos at a fraction of the cost of a professional photographer and in many cases free.

So when do you hire a photographer? You pay for positioning of people--that is hard to do if you are not professional.  You also pay for lighting and fancy lenses that you probably don't have at home and in the case of really top photographers, you get a subtle clarity that comes from a skill in photoshop. Now, more than ever, the skill of photoshop can go way beyond the simply fixing of a blemish or adjusting lighting but to creating a whole new artsy effect with a palette that is beyond what ever once was.

I feel so blessed to have in my plumage of life some gorgeous feathers that are talented photographers and artists.  I have featured pictures from several of these friends here, most recently Vivian, and Chellese whose pictures adorn my header.  Emily took pictures of our family for last year's Christmas Card and the family pictures still on the wall in are home were taken by Tara many moons ago (she doesn't have a photography blog but should).

In additional to photographers, I also have a handful of artists who I know and love--one of these is my beautiful friend Asha who doesn't even read this blog.  She took pictures of Meg when she was a few months old, maybe you remember the yummy pictures of her in pink that she took on the fly in her living room.

I am dedicating this post to her new website because I am inspired by the work she does.  Her husband studies sacred spaces--the buildings in India in particular and if you read through the intro on her website you can find out her story and how she came into her ideas.  If you know of any local yogis or ladies gyms who might be interested, she would be perfect for that--or for your own living room.  I might request something for my birthday since she is probably open at 11 pm the night before (ahem, Steve)  She is reliable, professional, and has a genuinely good heart.   I am leaving the link up on my blog if you need it later down the road.

4 comments:

  1. Photoshop. I take it for granted now, but it's leaps and bounds better than the printing press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I got a shout out!

    :)

    I wrote an essay this past summer for my Writing Project about how writing teachers can learn to how to teach writing from learning how to take digital pictures.

    I should be a Fulbright scholar.

    I love how you honor your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love it when I make mention on your blog. Thanks for loving me. I'm sad we weren't able to get together for some pics this time. I'll just have to come to CA to visit you.

    P.S. You made mention on my Chellesey Be. blog. BTW, with regard to my dream, it's not that I think you are overly critical, it's that I admire you and all that crazy educational knowledge in that head of yours. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooo lucky I happened to live on a few doors down from you that first year at DT. Changed my life.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios