Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sprinkled Donuts

I wanted to be super mom.

What better way to be super mom to your kids than to run out and grab them fresh donuts for breakfast from Anna's Bakery?

But super moms are women who know their children and who will look in the face of the baker and say "no, I need three sprinkled donuts, not one."

I am just an average mom, intimidated by the man behind the glass who in his crazy mind thinks that a plain donut is just as good, so I just took the one sprinkled, the one glazed, the one chocolate covered, the one cake, and the old-fashioned glazed with chocolate and the one glazed blueberry (which has to be unpopular) and walked out the door off to charm my children.

Instead I was mean mom due to the scarcity created by the youngest child getting the sprinkled as the first one with her shoes on.  My eldest child pulled the same trick on me Saturday night when I brought home the Habit and his burger didn't have lettuce (I gave up my tasty terikayi burger with swiss and took his lame kids' burger and went into my room proclaiming that I wanted to be alone where my kids couldn't be unappreciative.)  And by the way if I tried to serve up some lettuce in another form, like salad, I would be mean mom too.

In expression of his anger over the sprinkled donut this morning (after shoving a glazed down in one bite) he refused to take his lunch to which Steve said "boy that is smart."  Casey's response?  Well it WOULDN'T be smart because I would THROW UP if I ate it because it is so disgusting.

All because I only got one sprinkled donut.

I keep telling myself that the secret to life is low expectations yet I set myself up over and over again.

So much for super mom.

8 comments:

  1. even though i looove sprinkled chocolate donuts with all my heart, you can bring any donuts to me any time you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell him that the sprinkles are made from fingernail clippings and he'll never want one again. It's a texture thing. Personally, I think old-fashioned glazed are the worst. Hard and dense does not a doughnut make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, my son lied and manipulated my MIL in order to stay home from school "sick."

    Now he is wailing because of the consequences. He claims he doesn't need school to deliver mail. Apparently he doesn't want to be a scientist anymore.

    I inform his that yes he actually does.

    I've told him that he will be cleaning toilets. And that they will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momfa used to work at Anna's, and I'll say that there were some heated debates over jelly and cream filled donuts at our home. But I'd trade it the peace that came when she got a new job for a fresh Anna's bear claw. And that's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an entry straight out of my journal. Wait, do I even write in my journal these days? No, I guess I don't. Too depressed about being a Mean Mom. I've been craving donuts all day today, I think your post sent me over the edge and we will all go in search of fried pastries tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mean mommy!

    Jay kay. We've all been there. It's the underappreciated that feel it the most. ::ginorm sigh::

    Mmmmm donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did great. I always either play the martyr or a complete psychotic villain.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios