Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You Should Do This...

But you probably won't.  Anywho, go to this link and support this initiative because it will make you a better person.  The italics is what the website generates and then you can put your own story in the middle.  Here is what I came up with and I strongly, strongly encourage you to support this.  This is going to be part of the reauthorization of the ESEA

Dear Senator(s):
As a Whole Child Advocate, I ask you to cosponsor S. Res. 478 designating March as "National Whole Child Month." The resolution also recognizes that ensuring all children are healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged should be a national priority and encourages parents, educators, and community members to support a whole child approach to education for each student.

My son does well on standardized tests--and so do his sisters.  But no one bothers to ask or think about the ability of my children to critically think, to solve problems, or to work with others.

When they graduate from elementary, and then high school I have hope that because of what I teach them at home they will have the ability to solve problems in spite of the school system regularly telling them that they are fine because they can memorize facts.  If we as a nation want to stay ahead of the international trade game by producing, not just importing information and products, we MUST begin to focus our school system around ingenuity--the one element of the American spirit that is captured in every child until someone in the school system tells them that creativity is less important than knowing the "right answer."

I encourage you to read, if you haven't already, Yong Zhao's book "Catching Up or Leading the Way" if you want to know what happens to nations that focus exclusively on being "smart."

This initiative is led by ASCD and is a collaborative effort of its national partners. I urge you to show your support to children across the country and your commitment to a quality education for each child by cosponsoring this resolution.
Thank you in advance for your prompt consideration and support of this important measure.

9 comments:

  1. I will, thank you.

    Isn't it nice, when bitter political rivals like us can unite for a good cause?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the teachers don't all know how to critically think and/or problem solve. This is where it is the parents responsibility to sit down with their child and teach them what THEY know. Cuz gosh knows..the apples don't fall far from the trees..and sometimes that's a good thing. But can i just cut and paste your whole thing? Or do they have one of those homework checkers to see if I copied you and then disqualify me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::snoring:: Freak. It took me 3 tries to get through this thing without dozing off. BUT, I signed it. This better be that initiative that gets me some extra spending money taken from the educational fund or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna do this, even tho I don't quite know what you're talking about. Signing it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with you.

    One question. How is a resolution (that conflicts with some national education policies) and a special month going to accomplish much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maren!!! Because the law is not enacted yet, it is just a blueprint so if we can influence our policy makers BEFORE it passes (the new ESEA) then hopefully we can get at least some of this language in (or take out the focus on certain subject areas.)

    I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I hope so too. Sorry to be of little faith. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signed, sealed, sent.

    EO

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios