I vowed when I got pregnant that I would only go to the doctor the minimum amount. I am 38 weeks and I have only gone to the doctor 6 times total. I was starting to feel kind of guilty about that, like I was being neglectful but I went yesterday after a 10 week break from my doc this summer (went someplace else in Albuquerque for a quick measurement and heartbeat check to appease my dr. who asked me to get at least one checkup in the interim).
I no longer feel guilty about my lack of appointments. This is how it went:
Me: Wait in front room for 45 minutes
Me: Give pee sample in cup. When I put it in the cubby there are two other samples sitting there. Ew.
Me: Wait in exam room sans pants for 25 minutes. Almost finished book.
Doc: Hi how are you? Okay so we are testing you for Herpes today.
Me: Um, Strep B?
Doc: (Laughing) whoops! That was the last patient. Right, Strep B!
Doc: Listens to heartbeat. Sounds good!
Me: Wondering why no exam to check progress otherwise.
Doc: See you next week!
So basically I got no new info. I am very clear on the fact that this baby's heart is beating since she moves constantly, mainly poking my ribs. I knew I didn't have Herpes and I don't care about Strep B because I get a penicillin line while in labor since I tested positive for it with my first child and they always do it as a precaution. Also because I opt for the epidural you have a line anyway.
Me: So should I skip my 39 week appointment next week too?
I wouldn't skip but i would demand a check "downstairs" ifyaknowwhatimsayin.
ReplyDeleteAnnoying! I think I would only go so perhaps the check up "downstairs" could get the party started. That is, of course, if you are ready for the fiesta.
ReplyDeleteWhy don't more people write using the phrase "sans pants"?
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you were so close to giving birth! No wonder why your ankles were swelling on your trip-or actually many trips combined into one. I don't think I could have kept up with that schedule of yours.
ReplyDeleteIt was very sad to read about your friend. Things like that way so heavy on the heart.