Friday, August 29, 2008

Several Items

1. Sarah Palin
2. T-5 days!
3. Excellent Veggie Recipe complete from my pal at work. You have GOT to try this. Looks weird but is extremely tasty and healthy. Tiff I know you won't but it is gooood.

Shepherd’s Pie


From Mollie Katzen’s Enchanted Broccoli Forest
Modified by Kevin


Cheesy Bible pic from the Internet:




2 large potatoes
butter/milk/sour cream/chives

1 ½ T butter
1 ½ C chopped onion
1 or 2 large cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 carrots, small dice
1 t salt
black pepper
1 stalk finely minced celery
8 to 12 oz. diced mushrooms
1 lb zucchini, small dice
1 red bell pepper, small dice
½ t each: basil, oregano, thyme
1 C raw (fresh or frozen) peas
½ to 1 C frozen corn
½ C (packed) grated Cheddar. Sharp is best
3 T wheat germ (I usually just use whole wheat flour, not having wheat germ)
1 T either cider or balsamic vinegar (I like balsamic)


1) Cook the potatoes and then mash to your favorite kind of mashed potatoes. I often add roasted garlic, but sometimes that overwhelms the lovely subtle veggie medley below.
2) In a large, heavy skillet, sauté the onions and garlic in 1 ½ T of butter, with salt and pepper, for a couple of minutes. Add the carrots, and continue to sauté until the onions are soft.
3) Add the celery, mushrooms, and zucchini. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. When the zucchini is cooked through, and red pepper, herbs, peas, and corn. Continue cooking about 5 more minutes
4) Remove from heat. Toss with chese, wheat germ (or flour), and vinegar. Spread this mixture into your buttered deep-dish casserole. Spread the mashed potatoes on top, as a crust. Sprinkle top with some paprika and a little extra cheese to make it look pretty if you wish.

Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes at 350°

5 comments:

  1. What do you mean "Tiff, I know you won't??" I eat veggies...sometimes. It does have a lot of ingredients though. I'm not a fan of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my problem too. If I have to go to the store to get extra ingreeds then it's not likely I'll make it. Especially stuff like mushrooms or celery.

    2. I can't wait to hear about/see pics of the little 4th Flemsta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your new profile pic you sitting thoughtfully in your OBs waiting area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why yes it is ms. landeelu. It is my only pregnancy pic I approve of and all my non-prego pics would be like lying online to post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Tiff does eat veggies. French fries are potatoes. Doyee.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios