I do not follow Ashton Kutcher if that is what you are thinking. No offense if you do.
Twitter covers me on various levels:
1) Keeps me company when no one is in the car/store/room when I have something I want to tell someone.
2) Intermingles world, domestic, and local politics with religion and humor, according to my own weirdo sense of everything.
3) Provides me with great resources that I can use for my work and personal life
Examples:
Two people I follow for two radically different reasons, Mark Gibson and Eric D Snider (though I almost dropped him due to landee's recent encounter)

See what happened here?
Mark Gibson retweets (RT) two people who I might want to follow--RT for those who don't know is a way to share information about someone you follow to people who follow you, so like "hey there is this cool person I follow who gives out good info too if you want to follow them or just even hear this." If I am interested, I can check out those people. Also the # is one of those topics that if you do a search on your app (or twitter website) for the topic with the # like this--to see what the heck that #pdf09 is about?? I typed it in the search and this was my result:

Then I have my daily fix of news pieces. I love The Onion because I get funny headlines. Sometimes they use bad language though so don't follow them. After The Onion you see an update from the apple blog which periodically links interesting articles like below. Also FLWbooks (flashlight worthy books) that provides reviews, asks for feedback to share and news headlines surrounding literary works. I follow EdWeek which gives me live blogging/chat rooms on important topics in education. I love EdWeek because they report on "cutting edge" education that only sometimes is even noteworthy. Still I keep on top of what I feel like is helpful info for work too.

Lastly I get my personal friends. I follow a teacher friend who lives in Albany NY and she doesn't tweet (an update via twitter is called a tweet for those who are new to it) all that often but when she does it is both entertaining and informative. Snowcore followed by another good friend of mine who keeps me updated on state politics:

To finish I must recommend you follow a great genius of a woman. She never disappoints.
Katie Erb is still not receiving tweets via text. I meant to have you help me with this before you skipped. Does anyone know if it's possible to have tweets texted to your phone? (Mine is of the non-i variety. I know, I know).
ReplyDeleteDo I use a site that converts RSS feeds to text messages? Do I sound like a geek?
Will you give me a personal tutoring in all things twitter when you visit?
ReplyDeleteI fit more into the grandma category. Except I don't know what geocities is.
ReplyDeleteHmmmmm. No.
ReplyDeleteGlad you picked up on one of my better ones! :)
ReplyDeleteGood job on why Twitter is awesome!
I feel like I entered the room mid-conversation. I have no clue what those tweets mean. Now, if your example was Ashten Kutcher tweeting that he was planning a trip to the grocery store to get fixin's for a salad, then I would get what you mean. I might make a tweet today, just for you.
ReplyDelete