Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Our Lovely Desert

I cannot believe it has happened, but I have actually grown weary of living in paradise.  For those who live in Santa Barbara, it may come as a surprise to you because, well, how can one tire of a place like this?

Well, news flash, it is not the town, it is the place where I spend the majority of my day working, eating, breathing, sleeping, and loving my family that is causing my consternation.


Currently I can do neither.  Every little thing I try to do causes me deep frustration:
  • Towels do not dry in this climate so after a shower, with limited space to hang your towel, chances are about 90% that just hanging it on the rack is going to yield a damp towel tomorrow.  Yuck and yuck.
  • No dishwasher= limited counter top space in an already teensy apartment
  • No place to put my purse so it ends up on the floor, oft times falling victim to a passer-by toddler
  • We have recently started a new daily exercise routine--this has been wonderful and since our chore routine has worked fairly effectively, the routine seems to come naturally and is fun.  The girls and I had a great time trying to follow an aerobics clip, but there was only about 4 square feet to share for three people.  It was tough not to punch my children while trying to do this potentially wonderful bonding activity.  
  • Knives are hung up on a handy little IKEA magnet strip hanging on the wall due to shortage of drawer and counter space, but I have a few more that don't fit so they go, along with my awesome microplane grater, high above reach.  My reach.  
  • Books, books everywhere and ne'er a space on the bookshelf to be found--so when I want to loan out a book, nay determine if I still even have a book? I have to look behind books--who has double book rows?  We do.
  • My office space is semi-packed up so now I am working off of my futon which is sadly tough on the back.
  • No place to put my new fitness hula hoop
  • Can't find spices that I know are there because they are all crammed into my only food cabinet. 
  • Cannot reach my recipe books or most food items because they are in the pantry behind an old changing table that currently serves as storage for other items.

So needless to say, I am actually ready to move to Utah, in spite of some climate disadvantages... because my daily moments should naturally become more enjoyable.  At least that is the hope.  If anyone wants to give us a free place to live in THIS climate, of course we are open to that.  We only need about 2K square feet, we aren't picky.

    BUT lest ye think that I am in despair, I am not!  I still love it here, I am just ready to move on to the bigger and broader world where my towels can dry and I can locate my spices in a second.  And how do I keep up this peppy 'tude?  Why, the new exercise routine!

    It goes like this:  Pick something from each row on our chart (cardio, 15 minutes, upper body, 10 x 3 reps, core 10 x 3 reps)  I find the adrenaline very helpful, particularly if we get it going right before dinner, the time I am most likely to be frustrated.  Last night this guy waylaid my frustration:

      Get fit with Micah

      4 comments:

      1. Can't wait for you to join us here in the Rocky Mountains...land of snow packed roads and sub-zero nights:-)

        ReplyDelete
      2. I'm excited for you to move to UT too. I wish I could say it was for the counterspace but it's for purely selfish reasons. It's not Denver but it's something!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I don't think these are unreasonable complaints. Hooray for living by the beach and all, but give me square footage any day.

        By the way, when you turn to Micah & his magic hips to waylay your frustration, does Steve feel threatened?

        ReplyDelete
      4. It's fine. Instead of a beach bunny, you'll be a snow bunny. You'll be totally fine.

        ReplyDelete

      Comentarios