I would rather revolución but it is the time of year that people are supposed to commit to goals that they will never actually reach but seem worthy in any case.
There were a decent number of people at church today who came for the first time, or the first time in awhile--resolution to be more devout!
The gyms know that now is the prime time to sucker someone into a new membership--resolution to get in shape!
Across America kitchens emptied from the recent holiday binging are now stocked with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean meats--resolution to eat healthier!
I too wish to be devouter, fitter, and healthier. Who doesn't? Even an atheist wishes to be a more devout non-believer.
But to those of you wishing to change your current behavior, I have some sad news for you. According to this article a colleague sent me called Change or Die only 1 in 9 people change their behavior when their doctor tells them that they will literally die if they do not.
How do you like those odds? 9 to 1? And what if you are not going to die, what if your motivation is less extreme, then what? Are those odds any better than those against Santa's Little Helper?
Lest you think that I am starting the new year with a negative edge, let me help everyone out there who wants to do something new, those of you who want to exercise your right to a Big Hairy Audacious Goal.
According to Dan and Chip Heath, you CAN change. How?
1) Find the bright stops--who used to be as unfit as you and then got fit? Don't ask someone who has always been able to do what you want to do, ask someone who couldn't and then did.
2) Script your exact plans--you can't just put"go to the gym" on your to do list, you have to say "go to the gym at 9 am on MWF after putting laundry in the washing machine." The more specific your plans (including something before it that you already do) the more you are likely to make this thing come to pass.
3) Find some data that will make you realize what a horrible, terrible loser you will be if you don't make the change. If your goal is to spend less money, find a picture of yourself at age 95 renting a small apartment where your hospice bed can barely fit in the room with the oxygen tank. If your goal is to eat healthier, find an image of a heart surrounded by blocked arteries. Something with a disturbing image--if you want to stop smoking, see if you can pick up a pack of these Brazilian packs (warning, graphic images of negative effects of smoking) that have been extremely effective in reducing smoking.
4) Tweak your environment. If you feel like you are watching too much TV, then move your TV to another room, or take your coach and face another direction. Moving things that prevent you from backsliding is effective.
Okay so now that I have made these suggestions, here is a real list of things that I hope to accomplish this year:
1) Try not to buy any new items from the store--buy stuff only from Craigslist or KSL (when we move of course!) This was inspired by my talented friend Katie who reminded me that creative ideas and investment of time can make a more beautiful and meaningful existence.
2) Reduce the amount of food I eat overall. I am not sure what tactic I am going to use but probably going with a checkin time of 1 pm on dailyplate to get myself at least tracking how much I am eating. I will let you know in two months if I did it successfully or not.
3) Eliminate all travel during church whenever I have control over my schedule. This could cause a ripple in my schedule, but I have committed to being here with my family and only making an exception if I am attending a conference or other event that someone else scheduled. I am starting with that commitment next week leaving at 6 pm for my next travel instance.
I have some other regular dailies, but these are my three big ones. Wish me luck!
I learned two important things on the mission. First, I could learn much more Spanish from you than my comps from the peninsula, because of #1 on that list. You could always tell me the minute grammatical details whereas they would just say "Because it sounds right."
ReplyDeleteSecond, I learned that I really hate goals of any kind. They do not motivate me. In fact, they make me feel really bad about myself. (PS you were lucky to get out when you did. I had some not-so-great mission months later on. Just ask Alfonso and Norman. And Rehrer.) I've read lots of stuff about motivation and accountability and I just can't help thinking it doesn't apply to me in the same way. I'm just not wired that way. But is that just an excuse? I don't know, I just think that I can accomplish more when I don't make goals, because then I can feel good about myself.
Good luck yo!! Another idea is just try to set easy goals. Like, 1) Poop at least 3 times a week. Check that off my list!!
ReplyDeleteYou know I love it when you quote statistics. And when you flatter me. I just wish this list included a plan to visit DC in 2011.
ReplyDeleteDoes #1 include clothing?
ReplyDelete