When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Dear goodreads friends I met at Borders/new girl at church/facebook friend/neighbor/parent at kids school/Paris,
I am no longer the friendly person that I once was. I used to love to invite people over for dinner and in fact have had epic arguments with my husband about how much time to spend with people who aren't my closest friends. I have always enjoyed spending time with people and for some reason I have always gained energy from being with others--the more the merrier.
Now, I am totally saturated with keeping my kids entertained/working with their school/fixing our computer for them/cleaning my home/moving/national school reform/facebook/staying on top of my finances/maintaining a relationship with those who do care enough to call or email me periodically/playing angry birds with my son/helping make valentines .
As my kids get older they are more fun to be around/want to talk more/more interested in learning/more needy/more angry and I find that they are taking over my social life/fun time/vacation interests/movie choices and I actually LIKE it.
What has happened to me that my favorite people to hang out with are my children? When did I get to the point that the people who give me the most energy are the fruit of my loins?
I finally understand my bff/favorite former freighbor/visiting teachee/friends, who never seemed worried about needing new friends, and why they love their families soo much.
Does this mean I am aging? Have I outgrown the days of wanting to travel abroad/spend time with friends so much that I was willing to leave my children behind? Is this a happy/unhappy side effect of the travel that I do for work?
I apologize that when we talk the only thing I have to say is about schools or my children. But for me, what else is there?
I am wondering if this is a phase or if I am going to be sad and lonely in 4 years when my son gets his driver's license (which, incidentally is not going to be treated like a thing he has to earn, he is getting that sucker on his 16th birthday and he is going to drive everyone everywhere) and will look around and see I don't have any friends left?
I am not happy about this. I want to go to Europe/throw parties/have you over for Sunday dinner/make new friends/keep the old/have a girls night out weekly. But instead I find myself browsing redbox to see what movie my kids would like/planning fancy breakfast treats for fun/volunteering to teach in their classes/making entire family decisions based on their happiness.
I remember this quote from Thomas S. Monson (quoting Ann Campbell) about a mother's view of her children:
You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
When I first heard this quote I always thought that it was a sense of sacrifice--that I raised children instead of the travel and luxury of life so they should be thankful.
Now I see that this poem is really about the fact that being with my children is what give me the deepest satisfaction.
But when I do need you again, when I find myself in a phase where I am not utterly consumed by motherhood, will you be there for me? Will I forget how to make new friends? Will I recognize myself when I only want to see my existing friends?
Until then, just know that I fantasize about being my old self, about the kinds of foods I would serve you, the conversations we might have and the books we would talk about. It isn't you, it's me.
Sincerely,
Overbooked
*I am writing this post so that when I find myself friendless and alone in Utah, I will remember that there was a time that I felt that my family was enough.
You'll always make as many friends as you want. I think it's awesome that you feel this way about your children and can energize yourself from home. My experience is that older children are definitely more demanding in terms of social energy.
ReplyDeleteI have no wisdom to impart here. I've generally always been what you are experiencing now. I've never really needed or sought after new relationships. But I do know one thing. Your ability to recognize what makes you happy in life and then do it, without apology, has always been one of my favorite things about you.
ReplyDeleteSince I am an "existing friend" all I can do is feel bad for all those new friends you refuse to make. But I must admit that I got a little teary reading this....as I feel like you will now be truly happy. It's like you've recognized what you can let go & what you want to focus on.
ReplyDeleteAnd you'll never be FRIENDLESS. That's impossible for you. But yeah, no need to invite a different family over for dinner every night. Exhausting.
Although I'm not there yet, I like your take on the poem.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure you're not going to be friendless for long in your new locale. As long as you're not moving to rural western Florida, that is.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post, Lee. I am so the person who has no friends because most of my time is spent taking care of sick children, cleaning, running errands and then trying to recuperate from it all. That's why I appreciate the friendship of other moms who don't expect too much from me. And just realize that I'm kinda flaky and usually exhausted.
ReplyDeleteI agree that you will never be friendless. You are too fun and interesting.
Lee, you'll NEVER NOT have friends wherever you go - especially in Utah...I have heard they are the friendliest people around :-) I love your "new take" on the quote above!
ReplyDeleteOk, but can I please have one last visit with you before you leave?
ReplyDeleteI think you'll like this new state of being. And you will always have friends-- even new ones. They'll just be in their proper perspective.
Leaving a career after the birth of my #2, we moved into a ward where everyone was in the stage you're just beginning. I so needed connection, and none of my church associates did. I found friends elsewhere, moved from the ward, and when I had an opportunity to move back, could not bear the thought of being in such a "friendless" place. Now, well into that stage, I truly understand what those "unfriendlies" were experiencing. My children and their activities take all my energies. That will change as they leave. I hope I'll have no regrets for how we lived our life during these times!
ReplyDeleteAt age 55, and with all of my kids gone, life is sweet. My husband is my best friend, I have enough interaction otherwise with my friends, and we generally have people over not because of a deep desire to entertain and make new friends, but feel a need to reach out.
ReplyDeleteLife evolves according to our needs, and its OK. Having independent adult kids rocks.
I love this! I love what you wrote. I love your perspective. (Unless we ever live in the same city again. Then I hope you're just kidding.)
ReplyDeleteI am a very adaptable/flexible friend. I'm just happy to see your face whenever possible - no dinner or dessert required.
ReplyDeletePS. My word verification for this evening is "shilts." That should mean something.