Isn't it cute when your children get so excited when they lose a tooth? And the promise of a fair payment in exchange for the maturation process, the loss, bit by bit, of childhood and the mourning of the creeping threat of braces and root canals?
But in our house, the sight of a loose tooth inspires fear among the adults, a fear unlike any other you experience as a parent: the inevitable disappointment your children will experience the next morning knowing that no matter how hard you try, the tooth fairy is going to let you down.
The tooth fairy that visits our house is, alas, a mess. She has failed to come on several occasions and in fact has leveraged a few excuses to allay the tears of a child:
--The tooth fairy doesn't come on Sundays
--The tooth fairy is giving you three stickers instead of money
This morning, however, the tooth fairy topped even her own track record with a new excuse:
--The tooth fairy placed your money under your sister's pillow.
To be honest, I think the tooth fairy did it on purpose because he doesn't believe in propagating myths of fantastical beings.

Lollerzzzzzzzz!!
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem. The solution is easy. When the child comes out dissapointed say let's go check together. In the meantime fold up the money into the palm of your hand, don't pick up the pillow to look just slide your hand under and feel around to check for the missing tooth fairy prize. While checking drop the money and then have the child double check just in case. I have used this many, many times. Good luck, I loath the tooth fairy as well!
ReplyDeleteI do what "Jo" says because our Tooth Fairy is, I believe, a junkie and is not reliable. Or she is tired. Either way, the searching around and "finding" it trick is golden. Plus, as a bonus, it makes your kid feel stupid because you KNOW they searched EVERY INCH of that area before coming downstairs. Keeps 'em humble.
ReplyDeletePS Nice comment on LSLD today. I almost want to explain who you are to people so they don't feel sorry for me.
We forget so often that after we missed the first night Gillian said, "I want the tooth fairy to do it, not you!" So we didn't think the "try again" method would work. Unfortunately I put it under Meghan's pillow :(.
ReplyDeleteAwesome. I'm sure that that won't contribute to Middle Child Syndrome at ALL.
ReplyDeleteWow, I hope my sisters start losing teeth. Soon. This could be a surprisingly fertile source of new income.
ReplyDeleteHm, well, perhaps this would be a better alternative to your husband's toothache. Whatever it is, have faith and hope that he will soon be healed. If the dentist thinks that a root canal might be better, then wait and see what would happen there. Stay strong!
ReplyDelete