So I read all the time but am always looking for more. I wasn't planning on recommending any of them, but not all authors can have the talent of Suzanne Collins so I thought I should at least give people some ideas of decent reads. I don't recommend something with overkill on profanity or sex so as a result I find most of my reads show up on young adult fiction. They aren't all totally pristine but for the most part they all get a PG rating or less. My star rating is:
* One star. I read it and finished it because it was entertaining enough for me.
**Two stars- I read it, finished it, and I am not embarrassed about it.
***Three stars- I read it, finished it, and recommend it.
I would appreciate it if other people would make some recommendations for me, btw, so that I could have some ideas on what to do to fill my time while waiting for Stephenie Meyer to produce something else.
1. The Ungarnished Truth: A Cooking Contest Memoir- Elie Mathews-This is a not a great read but has interesting details about the Pillsbury Bake Off winner of 1993 who won a million. I totally can't relate to her character but I do love the bits about the food and the behind-the-scenes look at someone who wins a contest with little or no personality. Very clean cut. **
2. Great and Terrible Beauty, etc. the Gemma Doyle trilogy-Libba Bray- Great read, interesting, some other-worldly stuff to add to a mysterious gypsy love interest. I think there might be a few weirdo things in there for people who like strictly G-rated but it probably is not more than PG-13. ***
3. Silver Bough- Lisa Tuttle- this seems like a summary of a really great story that accidentally left out the best parts. It has an interesting premise. Uses the word lust a lot but doesn't have any detailed unsavory parts. Takes place in Scotland with mainly American characters. *
4. Stolen Child-- Keith Donohue a bizarre account of a kid who gets stolen by changelings and the changeling who took his place. Very engaging with some trollish kind of characters. Probably one of the better reads of that mediocre crop from the library.***
5. The Blue Blood series- these are more high school vampire stories but a little bit racier since the main characters seem a bit less moral, particularly the "popular" female lead character. But the main one is nice enough and so far they are entertaining. Don't expect great literature but fun enough. **
6. And Only To Deceive, A Poisoned Season, Fatal Waltz-- Tasha Alexander- These are super fun Austen-style heroine romance mysteries. Main character super moral and likeable plus a feminist for her day (refusing to marry for money, etc.) ***
7. Silent in the Sanctuary and some other book that precedes it- Deanna Raybourne. Lady Julia Grey mystery, a chica with her own money and mystery, again Austen-style heroine. ***
Do NOT read:
Anything by Nora Roberts- started to read one of her stories until the main character's body was possessed by a prostitute. What the..? Who writes this kind of smut? Nora Roberts, thats who.
Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card-- I usually love his stuff but this one is weirdo. Seriously I only made it two pages, since it seemed like he was taking lessons from Nora Roberts but with a creepy angle.
Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. She actually did a good job with Lovely Bones if you don't mind the creepiness of a dead girl following around her murderer from a cloud and her watching him with another victim. I only got through a few pages of Almost Moon before I realized that the book is about a woman who kills her mother. That is no spoiler by the way since that is what she says on the first page. I should have read the back of the book.
The first recommendation that popped into my head is for Julia Child's memoir My Life in France. Francophobes can probably skip this one, but I really liked it because Julia tells the story of how she fell in love with France and French food in such an exuberant, Julia-like way. It was also interesting to read about her friends, her writing, her political views, and especially her sweet relationship with her husband Paul.
ReplyDeleteIf you like historical fiction, when I was growing up I always thought that Ann Rinaldi was one of the best YA authors in that genre. Keep in mind that's probably been a good 10 years or so since I've read any of her stuff, but I think you might like Time Enough for Drums, which is set in Trenton during the American Revolution, and kind of has this forbidden love angle that you seem to enjoy so much... ;)
I want to read, but I am so bookshy lately.
ReplyDeleteSo many disappointments. I need a prince of a book to revive my faith in fiction.
I do read quite a bit of non-fiction. Reading one on heavy metal right now which is fascinating. Interested?
I'm so glad you are doing my homework for me. I just finished The Hunger Games and I'm depressed now.
ReplyDeletePeople Magazine - Edible tidbits of celebrity gossip, including trips to rehab, in-depth analyses of weight gain/loss, and gratuitous details of extra-marital affairs. * * * * * * *
ReplyDeleteWell written post, by the way. You could have a second career as a literary critic.
Oh good! I need some new book recommendations. I read a Great and Terrible Beauty, but I didn't feel like continuing the series for some reason. I think L. Bray was too descriptive for my tastes. I want to find a good series to get into. I'm all into scifi right now because of the delicious Hunger Games, so I found this book with a similar premise--a huge bestseller in Japan, written by a Japanese writer. I would have to give it an R rating for graphic death scenes. Not usually my thing, and you probably wouldn't like it for that reason. I'll think on it and come back with something--I haven't read anything worth recommending in a while...
ReplyDelete