Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My son, the catholic

My son came home from school today with this tribute to my father that he had done in his art class. I was really surprised by both what he had done and the assignment (seemed a bit religious for a bunch of liberal artsy teachers since "Día de los muertos" is a catholic thing, but I loved it)

Here is the green box he made- I threw in the pic of my pops just for the shrine effect:



He said that the little guy inside was an alien with a spaceship on the right because my dad made an alien and a spaceship that is in his friend's front yard.

Close up of what he wrote...



Translation for those who don't speak a 4th grade gringo level Spanish-

My grandfather likes to play with me. My grandfather was an artist. My grandfather lived in Sonora. My grandfather likes to eat pancakes with peanut butter. I tell him he is a good grandfather. I like my grandfather.

Well I took some liberties with fixing his grammar a bit, but that is the gist... I was very touched and cried a little bit.

Long live the memory of Hippieartist

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to a great man! We loved Jerry and miss him terribly. It's a treat to see his smiling face again. Thanks for sharing.

    Shanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::single tear::

    So cute & touching. I'm sure your dad would love knowing he was remembered for liking peanut butter on his pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first hint were his hail marys during sharing time. I wasn't going to say anything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeeah. See it's this kinda stuff that keeps you going, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cute. I wonder what my kids will remember about my dad when he's gone--nothing as cool as aliens and spaceships, I'm sure. Is it weird that I'm craving pancakes with peanut butter and I've never had it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Dia de los Muertos. And that is strange coming from me for a variety of reasons.

    Your son's work make me like it even more. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James Casey is my brother-in-law and I was so happy he sent this email to me. What a great activity......my daughter is a high school Spanish teacher and they also do this project! Jerry was a great man and artist......I have one of his ants........and lots of good memories of him. Thanks for sharing, Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a beautiful picture of your dad. He looks like a loving, happy man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the sweetest thing! What a cool photo of your dad too.
    BTW, thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I really need you to share your 'skinny' secrets with me because every time I have seen you,you look so awesome! Actually all of the Hermanas I see from time to time look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios