Friday, January 23, 2009

Big Thankies

If you are a parent you probably understand the following statement:

Every time I think I have it figured out, they go through a new phase.

My chilluns that is. They are beautiful, smart, wonderful individuals who bring me more and more joy as they get older. Now with four children we really are officially centered in family (meaning there isn't time for much else) and I love them more with each passing moment.

However.

The fighting had been pretty bad there for awhile as I mentioned awhile back and a HUGE thank you to two people:

1. Angela for recommending "Siblings Without Rivalry." Honestly I thought this book would not apply because I didn't seem my kids as being jealous of each other per se, but we employed the strategy of having them work things out and voilá it was already better. The cartoons help a lot for lazy people like me.

2. Memsy/Jespy who pointed out that in the Esplin household they just have to work things out before they are allowed to do the next stuff.

The book reinforces this principle but also points out you shouldn't typecast your kids which I sadly have done ALL their lives. It isn't too late to change tho, right??

Sample improvements:

Scenario 1:

Gillian yelling that Bridget won't let her play. Mom steps in:

Gillian, don't tell me, tell Bridget-look at her, k, now tell her how you feel.

You won't let me play!
Bridget:"I didn't say you couldn't play I just said I was going to?"
Can I play too?

Bridget: I don't care, whatever, we can both play.
Yay!!

PROBLEMA SOLVED!!!! and it was seriously that simple.

Scenario numero dos:

Casey is going to the weigh-in for the pinewood derby tonight and Steve asks if the girls want to go too and they get all excited and start putting on shoes, etc.

Casey starts in...
I don't want them to go!!

Weeping and gnashing of teeth from girls.

Mom (remembering book) Hey buddy, was this something special you wanted to do with daddy, just the two of you?
Yeah.
K, well afterwards, what if daddy drops the girls off and then the two of you can go do something special, like get a treat or something?
Okay!!! Come on Gillian, put your shoes on quick!!!

That simple!!! So I totally am excited. Now if only someone could stop this baby from grabbing on the cords that have been hanging off my computer desk for the last 2.5 years unmolested.




5 comments:

  1. so that is really cute, and you're making progress, and i don't need to send Super Nanny "jo" into your house. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's working out for you. My only problem with that strategy is that my kids get so upset with each other that the working-it-out-on-their-own can get violent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read more parenting books, and self-help books, and healthy eating books and make-you-smarter books. Oh, too much to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, did I just get a "you have brilliant* parenting skills" shout-out? I'm humbled. But I have to admit, my "go to your room until you can work it out" method was born out of laziness.

    *implied brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lurve Jespy's implied brilliance and have been using it successfully ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios