Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Prez.

Since I consider my blog my journal, I can't help but feel like I ought to blog about today as a truly historical event is taking place as I write this.

A school that I work with in Durham is sending a group of 50 students and 10 teachers to DC for the event today and I have to admit that it seems exciting for a number of reasons.

Regardless of political affiliation, one must admit that having the first Black presidente is a pretty big deal. People can call it tokenism or whatever, but as I have grown up I have realized that a good deal of racism exists in the United States. A lot of that reflects classism as we have such a large portion of minorities in the poverty class but many people cannot separate class from color and therefore we have this racism that occurs on several levels.

An example:

A comedian/writer who I consider to be really funny is David Sedaris. His recent book didn't grab me but a truly hilarious read (if you are a bit edgy) is Me Talk Pretty One Day. He also has a funny bit about Christmas entitled 6 to 8 Black Men which is about the various ways people celebrate Christmas in different cultures. The guy is really, really funny and if you have about 15 minutes you can enjoy his humor. I digress. The point is that I was thinking of recommending this to a teacher who happens to be black and I thought perhaps I should refrain.

While I still find David Sedaris hilarious, my friendship with colleagues of color makes me really think through the nuances of my own culture and whether or not I really have a handle on how Black Americans are treated on a large scale.

The fact that Obama represents a beacon of hope to so many people can go a long way in making a difference in the way we view race. I was told by someone that 24 having a black president paved the way for Obama. I find that disturbing somehow and prefer to give credit to Obama for being at the very least the most well-spoken presidential candidate we have had in ages.

I don't know about you but I am actually looking forward to hearing this speech and watching Americans fall all over themselves in excitement. Hopefully people won't be too disappointed when they don't get a windfall of $$ or find their homes suddenly still have no value.

EDIT!!!
Okay I actually cried during the speech! Is that weirdo?

7 comments:

  1. Having a black president is exciting. Of course, some level of racism will always exist, but the fact that we have a black president shows that it can't necessarily hold people back. No excuses.

    I love David Sedaris--I have four of his books. 6 to 8 Black Men is one my favorites, and I just listened to it again to refresh my memory, because I didn't remember it being derogatory towards blacks. I still don't think it is. He plays off racial stereotypes (including white, gun-toting midwesterners), but ignoring that fact that racial stereotypes exist seems more offensive. Plus, he's gay, so... everyone knows gays aren't racist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gays are religionists...they hate the Mormons. So I've heard.

    I watched the Inauguration on the TV at the gym whilst on the tread mill. I just read the subtitles while listening to my iPod. Is it bad I'm not that interested? I know, I'm flat out shocking you right now.

    But yeah, he seems nice. Michelle is a little manish for my taste but w/e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to Landee.

    Yeah, it's cool. I think, if nothing else, it will bring a new excitement/vibe to our country that we so desperately need. I also saw it at the gym and heard soem on the radio. But then I had to go do some errands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An exciting day indeed!!

    (If it moves you to bake something, my door is always open.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting day. Quite moving, actually. And yet, I haven't even read a headline about it today, I've been so busy. As Colin put it, "We'll catch the highlights on the internet." We're not as apathetic as we sound.

    I saw a lot of racism and division in Chicago. I think open conversation and recognition of it is critical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I've repented and have caught up with today's events. Between the MSNBC coverage I watched at the gym and Hilary's posting of the oath and speech, I finally feel a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I teach 6 to 8 with my rhetoric students.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios