So you might be wondering what we are doing next on the disease biz...
1) We are going to wait and hear our fancy local doctor's recommendations on treatment in four weeks.
2) Regardless of what he decides we will drive down to LA to get a second opinion because, well, out of the mouth of 2-3 witnesses all truth is established, right? Also because memzy's super smart older bro told me to go to an expert with experience and I trust him (not just cuz he is handsome.)
3) I might like my doc because I heard good stuff about him (from parents whose kids who broke bones, not ones who had bones die in some weirdo rare disease) BUT I have to admit I was frightened when I spoke with him Friday and heard him say "yeah, you might want to stay off the blogs."
WHAT? What kind of person tells you to avoid blogs?
A Luddite, that's who. If you have never heard that term let me enlighten you: The Luddites were a group of British protesters in the 1800s who destroyed machines because they felt that they were going to be out of a job and their way of life would change. One weaver can only do so much on a loom per day, but you stick a mechanized loom in there BAM you have free time to go watch your favorite talk show or whatever fun things that you could do instead of weave, like wash laundry or dishes by hand. But some people want to wash dishes by hand because it is therapeutic? Or because then you might be out your dishwashing job? Uh.
I will say to some of these anti-technology people who decry the social networking of facebook or twitter and say "I am too busy to facebook" or "I don't blog because I am busy having a life" do not have the same needs I do, I get it. I need the written word to journal out my life, to record my daily actions and photos, to mock the public education system or praise it alternately if I so choose and these people feel that they can meet their needs without the web.
But don't tell me to "stay off the blogs" because it seems ignorant to tell people to avoid information. Would he have said "avoid reading journals of other moms in your same situation?" Would he have said "I would steer clear of the encyclopedia?" Of COURSE not. So because it more accessible, this information is suddenly less valid. If something is printed in a book, we like it, if it online it is questionable. News flash: the majority of people journaling have realized that it is far superior to do it digitally because then it is searchable for later. And takes less space. And by the way, doesn't require clearcutting.
So Mr. Smartypants doctor, you better know more about the growth of bones than you do about the way the modern world operates because no offense, but you totally misread your audience.
I don't mean to be rude, I hear he is a way nice guy. With a mustache...and who can resist a man in a mustache? I will get a pic later and if he asks why I can tell him it is for my blog.
Best of luck with Dr what's-his-stache.
ReplyDeleteNo blogs? He doesn't know who he's dealing with.
Well said. Uh. I mean, well-blogged.
ReplyDeleteYou are right!
Wait, he has a mustache?? K. He's out. That was my one hang-up with Cap'n Jack of These Is My Words so between that and his disregard for the truth which is brought forth by blogs, he's O.U.T. out.
ReplyDeleteYou better keep your iphone deep in your purse when you are in his office, who knows what he'll do with it.
ReplyDeleteIF he was thinking that it is really annoying when people read something online--or better yet in a forwarded email--and then think they know everything and make life decisions based on that, then I get where he is coming from, HOWEVER he is still jumping to the conclusion that you are one of those annoying people who can't discern truth from fiction who go ahead and forward that email to all their contacts. Therefore, he should just shave off his mustache and keep his blogging opinions to himself.
i just blogged, updated my facebook status, and tweeted in one day--but i can admit there's a lot of hysterical crap in the blogosphere. good thing about you is you're able to recognize crap as such whether in print or online.
ReplyDeletealso my dad had a moustache for decades :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a quack. But mustaches are sexy. Mmmmm, Capt'n Jack.
ReplyDelete