Monday, March 8, 2010

Of Desserts and Lost Items

When I come back from trips I frequently find myself wondering what happened while I was away--my "personal space" has been rifled through by toddlers who have no voice to share the whereabout of lost items, my other kids' eyes gloss over as they try to vaguely recollect what happened to a special item that they know is off limits and my husband pulls a long face when I ask why there is a gaping hole in a recently purchased appliance.

These things happen when I am in town, but the cumulation the events whilst I am away highlights the chaos.

This trip it is my camera.  I am sure it is out and about but for the time being I am unable to provide you with photographic evidence of the details of the final four round of the dessert competition.  You will have to close one eye and try to imagine it as you leave the other open, riveted to the screen as you ponder these events.


It was Katie v. Jeannie and Lee v. Bridget

Jeannie has proven time and time again that she is an amazing cook and brought a chocolate stout cake.  It was rich, delectable, and the frosting was UN BE LIEVABLE.  A thick layer of a fudgy kind of sheet of pure heaven.

Katie, in her normal blow-your-sox-off presentation style brought profiteroles--otherwise known as cream puffs, with an incredibly light shell filled with cream and topped with chocolate sauce.  SO fantástico.

Bridget revived the V-day birthday cake special and made a chocolate cake with mint ice cream and whipping cream topping.

My own creation was a first-time recipe, found here and I was pleased with the results in spite of my rushed frosting job.  Chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter ball baked inside and whipped peanut butter cream cheese frosting.

In the end, Katie's dessert barely pulled past Jeannie's cake (must have been the edgy incorporation of alcohol) and Bridget, at the ripe age of 8, was finally eliminated after beating premier adult chefs week after week of the competition.

Last night I experimented with the most incredible dessert (if you like sweet because they were OH so sweet) and I provided Katie with a sampling to try to psych her out for the finals.  I hope it worked.

Tres leches cupcakes and dulce de leche frosting.  Oh.  My.  If you want to wow your friends and enjoy spending time in the kitchen you simply MUST try this recipe.  I left out the coconut flakes because Casey doesn't like them.

The final touch was to bake them in a WS fancy schmancy pan that Melissa brought with her on this visit.  Very cute.  Too bad I was too lazy to make different colored frosting.



4 comments:

  1. That dragonfly was SERIOUSLY the best cupcake I've ever had in my life. Jack agrees - In a moment of pure selflessness, I let him have 2 bites (before I slapped his hand away). I ate the second one for breakfast this morning.

    The finals are off.
    I officially concede.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping to see the showdown of the century. Or at least get another round of free tasty desserts.

    What a fun time, Lee. Thanks for hosting the bake-off challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does the winner get again? And I miss pictures. They are important sometimes. What about your iCamera?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww man! No cameras is lame. For you AND for us.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios