Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Forgotten List

So you would think by baby numero 4 you would have some serious knowledge and skills in the baby dept, right? Nope. Suddenly there is a whole list of stuff that you have to do or go through that had completely slipped my mind. So if you are considering having another baby in the near future, here is a list of things you might want to consider:

1. More laundry. With five peeps in the house you would think we hit saturation point, but actually one small little person adds almost a load a week- that includes of course washing their towel and washcloths every time which you don't HAVE to do but I sort of obsess about that...

2. Sleepless nights. Why is it that one time getting up at 3:45 am to feed a baby makes you feel like a train wreck at 8 am? I remember that my babies were up at night but the actual train wreck feeling was a not-so-pleasant surprise.

3. The second you bathe or change a diaper, they go to the bathroom again. In the clean diaper. Sometimes she goes on the new diaper. Awesome, especially at 2 am.

4. The time you spend staring at their faces. How many hours does it take to memorize all the little elements of your baby's face? Endless! I can't stop staring at her.

5. The amount of time nursing. I have nothing to read, btw. When I had Bridget I read Harry Potter 1-4 (given to us as a gift for Casey's second birthday which was the day after I got home from the hospital with Bridge). When Gillian was born I read the Dune series (gift from a student.) Now I have nothing. I reread Twilight series the week before she was born so that option is gone. I need a good series or a set of good book recommendations. Steve got out Anna Karenina, Les Mis, and Last of the Mohicans (for Memzy: I WILL find you!). Who can read that kind of heavy literature in 20 minute bouts? I would appreciate some recommendations on light-hearted non-smut literature por favor.

6. How many pictures I feel a need to take all the time. I have filled up my camera three times in one week. Do you know how often that happens? For some of you every day, but for me? Once or twice a month. Now I have to constantly take pics of this child.

7. How many little baby outfits you get for 0-3 months. I almost wish I were having another baby just to reuse some of them that will hardly get worn at all. The next person to have a baby girl that I know is going to get a serious set of clothing from me.

8. How much happiness you feel when they are happy and how much stress you feel when your brain registers the sound of the baby crying.

But overall you can't help but adore them, especially when they look up at you like this:




6 comments:

  1. I love this list. And, I'm sure there is plenty more that you will remember when they hit each adorable stage of crawling, walking, tantruming, etc. I will say, I don't think I've ever seen a newborn with bigger eyes! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is seriously ALERT, no?

    I was with a family that had a tiny baby this weekend and every time I saw that thing I thought of this kind of stuff. But how can you stand her? Gotta love those lists from Flem.

    I WILL find you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "how can you stand her" meant how cute she is of course. Wanted to make sure you got that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I've heard of a book called "The Hunger Games." I don't know anything about it other than a friend of mine (Twilight fanatic) is currently half-way through and is "riveted." So there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering, did you stare at each of your children equally? Casey, for sure, but what about Gillian and Bridget? Do you think you gave them the same level of attention? Flemsta 4.0 is the last edition, non? Well, does knowing that make you more adoring? By the way, she is totally worthy of your adoration and since you are filling up your camera so often how about a few MORE pics. I can never get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^agreed.

    PS. I'm going to see the baby IRL in November, suckahs!

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios