I think the Hunger Games is probably my favorite book ever.
I loved the characters and the plot, the writing, etc. It was probably the first book I actually read cover to cover. Don't get me wrong-- I read like crazy and have read a TON of books in my life. But I fly through pages that have lengthy descriptions and end up having to reread pages when I become interested in the story at some later date. (Examples of books I loved but skimmed: Watership Down, Count of Monte Cristo, Genesis, etc.)
I was on a dizzying review of it last night online until the kitchen/baby/costumes/bread/upstairs neighbor tv viewing interrupted so there isn't much to add really to those smart ladies and their 90s lyrica.
For those who have not read the book here is my summary:
-Strong female character who is probably pretty but doesn't really think about it is on the REAL survivor- meets -Truman show in a post-apocalyptic depiction of government oppression of the masses.
Interesting characters include: baker's son who sacrifices his all for love, alky older man whose money has just embittered him further in a sense of spiraling hopelessness, a wimpy younger sister who makes herbed goat cheese and a hardened street fighter whose survivalist lifestyle made him a man by age 12 whom the author does a brilliant job developing through the thoughts of the female lead. Oh and the girl who gave away the mockingjay pin. What are the chances of her being a lead character in the next installment? 95%
I need another book like this and feel that of the millions out there surely there is one other that can make my heart beat prior to September of 09 for the love of all that is holy.
I love you. Srsly, I do. You put my review to shame. I never thought about the mayor's daughter as playing a future role but I believe you are right. What about Greasy Sae? She'll probably make one of her famous squirrel, bark & leaf stews that causes the downfall of the gov't.
ReplyDeleteYou are genius, Lee. It's astounding.
ReplyDeleteI love your opening sentence. Now I don't feel like such an idiot for saying it's the best book I ever read.
ReplyDeleteThe discussion was crazy fast, I felt like I couldn't even form a coherent thought because I just had to type SOMETHING, and fast, or else get left behind.
I completely forgot about the mockingjay pin girl. You are so right. She's gonna play a big role in the next books. I bet she'll be Gale's consolation prize.
I know there have to be other good books out there, but everything pales in comparison right now. I'm on the lookout.
I bought this book today. I'm excited to read it. My husband was shocked to see that I snuck it into the cart at Target.
ReplyDeleteYou're a genius. I never could get too into the discussion because I was terrified of getting into w/ Jenny and Landee about me not in love w/ Peeta. (Don't tell them that though)
ReplyDeleteI feel like I should have waited to read it. But I devoured the darn thing. Now I can't wait until Book 2.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation.
Peeta.
ReplyDeleteI used to speak Spanish, (mission to Guatemala a couple centuries ago) but I can't even begin to comprehend the meaning of quesetescapa. Does it have something to do with cheese? Escapes?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, brilliant review! I didn't give much thought to some of those secondary characters. I'll have to go back and read it again before book 2 comes out and pay a little better attention.