Things I have done for the first time since arriving in Utah:
1) Listened to Pandora radio. If you don't, start. You won't regret it I promise. Try the Adele playlist, it is awesome.
2) Shoveled the driveway. Yes I realize my in-laws have a snowblower I just wanted to feel what it is like. They have a three-car garage=HUGE driveway. I made it through about 2/3 when Steve came out to grab the blower. That is some hard work people and if we ever live in a snowy environment like this I am definitely getting one of those cute little blowers that shoot snow up in the air.
3) Dressed my kids up in a holiday theme. Every year my sis-in-law picks outfits for my girls and then we buy them. Do not ask how we started this tradition but it just is. This year she added a shirt for the son so at church on Sunday they ALL FOUR were matching. They are repeating the outfits for Christmas Day so I will post a pic. Maybe.
4) Played Risk with my husband. My son loves games so we decided to all play together and I am telling you, that guy knows his strategy. He basically mocks me the entire game like this: "no, no, no, you do NOT want to do that. Two words honey: Casey. Africa." I told him that I was not going to steal a continent from my son and I had my own strategy which was to build relationships with the other countries to prevent war. It would have worked, too, except my traitorous son followed his father's advice and attacked me instead so I lost. But it could have worked...
5) Skipped dessert for all but one night. I gave myself one day, Grandma's annual Christmas dinner, because she makes a special dessert only one day a year that I had to have. I refuse to tell you the title because it doesn't sound tasty BUT it is so truly delectable you wouldn't believe it. Anyway I have passed up sooo many chocolates which for me is major sacrifice. I feel good about it, though, and it was my first time ever skipping out on the holidays. I feel like I should get some opportunity weight loss--like I had the opportunity to eat four pieces of pie but had none, so I lose like two pounds. Doesn't that make more sense?
6) Cleaned up throw-up off of brand new carpet and walls. This was a first for me because we live a bit more shabbily than my in-laws. It kind of broke my heart and their beautiful finished basement now has a lingering vomit smell. I hope no one notices. Bridget was the sicko by the way.
7) Finished wrapping all gifts by the 23rd. I finished wrapping the MP3 player (decided to get the player and if little Bridgie can keep the thing without losing or breaking it for six months I might upgrade her to a real Ipod) after loading it up with music and then wrapped it. It might let the cat out of the bag on the Santy since she will recognize all the tunes on there from my own collection. But what was I supposed to do, buy 50 new songs that I didn't have to keep up some myth my husband dislikes anyway?
8) Handmade some really awesome present for my MIL. I will def. post pics on this but it turned out way good--it involves all her grandkids, some canvas and paint.
I am sure there are other firsts, but that is actually a long list for me!
EDIT: For Jenny ESP (from now forward known as Jepsy thanks to Tiff)
Answers to your questions from my previous post:
1) Steve is getting a Ph.D in Religious Studies so he publishes in hopes of getting a job one day teaching at a university.
2) I work for a private non-profit organization doing this work.
3) I went for free on two of the trips to Europe but on the third I didn't want to take more than 5 kids (due to the previous experience with adults providing alcohol to kids I didn't want more than the minimum number) so I paid like $300 or something.
Merry Christmas!!!
ReplyDeleteI hate shoveling the driveway... usually. But sometimes I get going and it is truly invigorating. My hands have to be warm though, that is key. Snow blowers are for wusses.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see this handmade gift for Linda. I'm intrigued.
Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you LOVE Pandora! Make sure your share your amazing stations that you make. I just sent you one.
I love the Risk story. Can't wait until my son gets into games that are more interesting than Chutes and Ladders.
Love the mP3 for Bridget! You are awesome!
#6 is my favorite of your holiday musings. We went to visit my mom and dad right when they moved into their new fancy house, and my kids and my sisters kids puked all over the carpet for like a week.
ReplyDeleteI love my new whimsical nickname. Finally! So, are you saying Steve is on the publishing end, not the writing end? Or is he both writing and publishing religious study papers or something? Religious studies would be so interesting I think. And are you planning on moving back into your house eventually?
I'm so glad you got Bridge some sort of compromise on the ipod sitch. I would HATE shoveling snow I just know it. Wouldn't you be late like, ALL the time to go places? Hope you had a good Christmas.
ReplyDelete