I have no idea what kind of person I was before web 2.0. I am not a particularly talented or gifted individual but my one contribution to life is that I am willing to try anything. The internet allows me to do this without breaking a sweat. Have to rewire your kitchen? Look it up. Need a recipe for homemade mac and cheese without the cheese or the mac? You can find it online. You can even type in a song title or target lyric like "she's so funky yeah" and it pulls up the whole song verifying that it actually is french for games without frontiers and not what you thought you heard.
I am so sold into this culture that when people that I work with email me for help I am shocked that they did not first consult the web. In fact I rarely know answers so I am constantly looking things up-- then on a survey the teachers give me feedback later saying "Lee is so quick she always knows the answers." I chuckle softly to myself and pat my little macbook pro in awe of the world of people around me uploading all the stuff that I only get credit for knowing on a daily basis. In fact JennyESP asked about my little label cloud and you know what? I just typed in "label cloud blogger" and this little gem showed up. I experimented a few times with HTML and the world wide web made me once again look fancier than I really am. Thanks to those in the know!
Blogging is the newest part of this for me and in fact I might even refer to it as web 3.0 in which I can ask a question and have 10 people respond with advice, answers, jokes, or requests to shut this place down. And the liklihood of that advice being just as good as a trained professional is high, higher in fact because these people know me or at least know about me. So thanks for being my personal counselors, comediennes, doctors, lawyers, and yes even friends.
I love it how little arguments about what movie a certain actor was in, or who sang a certain song, or what the name of that little Italian restaurant we ate at is, can be easily resolved with a quick trip to Google, Wikipedia, or IMDB.
ReplyDeleteIf only Ralph and Alice, and Ricky and Lucy had had the internet!
Google is my home page. And right after I asked you that question, I was like, "ah well, I'll just Google it," and I found how to do it super quick and put it up there. My name is the hugest on the cloud, which is a little embarrassing, but I have no control over that.
ReplyDeletePS. I have a friend who doesn't even have an email address, and she's like an infant. I just want to shake her/slap her.
You sound so smug.
ReplyDeleteIt's true..... even I, an internet savvy person (self-proclaimed) was impressed with your ability to look literally ANYTHING up on the internet while you were here visiting.
Plug keeps tripping in the garage leaving a huge nasty stinky pile of rotten chicken? Let's look up how to change the plug.
Craving some whole wheat rolls? Google it.
Need to make some pizza crust from scratch? No problemo.
I learned much from you, master. I am your padawan learner.
Ha! Your Peter Gabriel song reference made me laugh out loud!
ReplyDeleteI luuuuuuuurve being able to Google anything and that "google" is now a verb!
I mean, even EDWARD said, "You can Google it." Am I right?
ReplyDeleteAnd you've always been ahead of the curve with technology. I mean, don't you remember how fast your fingers would work that BYU phone system? It makes me dizzy just thinking about it.
I'm baffled that people still end words with "(sp?)", as though they have to trek over to their bookshelf and blow the dust off a Miriam Webster to confirm the spelling of a word.
ReplyDeleteI think that relates to this post.
If not, that's still how I feel.
Amen to that one Lee...Aaron learned how to take out and install a toilet on his own watching youtube! Thank you internet!
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed at how google has become a group memory tool for me.
ReplyDeletei have this rule in my office: "don't ask me anything that your google bar can answer" it's amazing how we all have our own personal oracle. and ever since august when i got my iphone, the world is at my fingertips nomatter where I am.
ReplyDelete