Saturday, December 20, 2008

Quick Update

We were supposed to go ice skating at a b-day party at 3 pm yesterday so I load up my three oldest kids who were WAY excited about it. I even bought Casey a new coat (for the whole two weeks we are in Utah).

After buying the coat, we come out of the store and it is snowing, I mean coming down like crazeeeee. Anyway to make a painful and long story short, I was making a left turn and as I turned someone apparently was trying to go around me (perhaps more detail later if I am so motivated) and CRASH we made contact--it was extremely low impact fortunately since I was not going that fast. My front driver's side wheel is broken along with my headlights and stuff. Car=undriveable. The other driver's 2008 GMC thingy now has one of his back doors sealed shut.

It was very traumatic as I have never been in an accident like this and had no idea what to do. As it was in Orem (turning lane on State Street and Center Street for those in the know) the police were on the scene before I even got out of my car to speak to the other driver. The police found it to be my fault but he didn't really ask me any questions which kind of makes me feel a bit neglected, but he did not ticket me because he said the other driver was not inclined to charge me or something like that.

So the car is now in the shop and due to the holidays the agent was not sure if we would be able to get it back in time to leave by the 27th. Oh and the rental agency that our insurance uses is out of cars so we actually have no vehicle.

My good friend Wendy who lives in South Provo called me up and picked me and the kids up to feed us dinner and loaned us their old car for the weekend.

My thoughts:

1) I am not sure it was my fault because the guy came out of nowhere but more deets later (I might have to consult Vivian for a good diagram)

2) I like the fact that the police showed up so quick--there is no way in SB that the police would ever have gotten involved in this kind of fender-bender

3) Hallelujah for insurance-- I called them up and they arranged everything from the tow truck driver to the car rental (well, had there been any cars to rent, we are now #11 on the waiting list). They were really nice about it too and it was actually pretty quick considering what I would have had to do were it not for them.

4) I am soooo thankful of course that my kids and both drivers were okay. I am also thankful that my baby was not in the car while we had to sit there for 45 minutes.

5) It was nice to know that I had at least 6 or 7 friends I could have called on in this situation and particularly thankful to the Southern Hospitality of the SC-born Wendy (who needs to start blogging so she can know how much it meant to me) as she not only showed up to pick up the kids since we missed her son's party, but she also fed us tortellini with the MOST incredible Alfredo sauce on top that she of course contrived from scratch. They insisted on not only loaning us their car but her Oregonian husband went outside, brushed the entire car off (some feat considering that it had snowed significantly that day) and warmed it up for us so it would be easy for us to get in and leave.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Lee, I am so sorry this happened to you. Especially while on vacation. I'm glad your insurance and friends jumped into action for you. We will be up there next week for Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! I hate car accidents. The way I'm envisioning it, it doesn't seem like your fault. They probably just saw the california plates and assumed the worst! Sorry you're having to deal with the aftermath, but I'm glad no one was hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's craptastic. I'm glad you OK physically, and hope your psychic wounds heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, it sounds like the guy was trying to pass you on the left? If so, that's an illegal pass and the accident would be his fault.

    My husband got in a small accident here, and the police officer declared it a "no fault" accident, even though it was clearly the other driver's fault. I was mad because both drivers would be responsible for using their own insurance to fix the cars, and our rates would go up, and we were so poor at the time. So, long story short, I called the lady's insurance company (the number was on the accident report) and told them what happened, and they agreed it was their client's fault, regardless of what the police report said. They came to our house that day, assessed the damage, and wrote us a check. So if you don't think it was your fault, talk to your insurance company about it. It doesn't necessarily matter what the police report says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! Sorry about the accident, way to put an edge on your entire trip. At least you have good friends and family to help out. As already mentioned, don't assume it's your fault until you research it further. One time someone hit me while I was waiting to turn left(I wasn't even moving!) but I said to their ins. co, "I'm not really sure about the fault" (since I'd started turning and then stopped since her car was going to run the yellow) and The End, no more help from them. Sounds like you've got a great insurance company though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Car accidents in the snow are my worst fear. Glad everyone's ok. You friend Wendy is AWES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, if he was passing you on your left it's his fault. Which matters for insurance's sake. So get snitty with whoever needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize you were in Utah. So sorry about your accident! Melinda N. is in town also and we were suppose to see her on Thursday evening. She decided not to come due to the weather-which it sounds like she made the right choice! I am bothered that there are no car rentals for you. I would be just a little bit bugged!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just noticed your family photo at the top of your blog. I LOVE it. You look amazing. I can't believe you just had a baby. The photo looks like an advertisement. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thing it happened in Utah instead of California... at least no gunfire was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, LeeAnn, there is really (almost) nothing worse than a car accident. Glad no one was hurt. You really should make a huff with the insurance if you don't think it was your fault. That's not a fun way to remember your Christmas vacation. Ugh. Is there anything I can do for you? I'll just be praying and keeping my fingers crossed that your vehicle will be fixed quickly and with as little hassle as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's terrible! I'm so sorry that happened-- especially right before Christmas. Colin used to work for SAFECO insurance in another life, so I'll have him read your account and give his two cents, if you'd like. Hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually the two insurance companies will decide amongst themselves who was at fault and at what percentage, etc, etc.

    Don't worry about it.

    It's good to know you're okay.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios