Thursday, August 20, 2009

On Hoosiers and Illini

Columbus, Indiana. Beautiful city, little haven of tremendous architecture in the middle of nowhere. I highly recommend it and if you are ever anywhere near it (1 hour south of Indy) then you should check out the school. It is hands down the most amazing school campus I have ever, ever seen. I believe that is saying something. Their teaching and learning is pretty powerful too, the teachers refer to themselves as "facilitators" and the schools is very student-centered. Weather: Tornado watch.

Danville, Illinois. Home of Gene Hackman and Dick Van Dyke. High school building old, bricked, and traditional with a beautiful theater (perhaps donated by these and other famous alumni.) Located 10 minutes from the state line so your cell phone (if you have AT&T) flips back and forth between two time zones. Best hamburgers in the world. If you are ever in the aream, you ought to stop by and see the new section of the high school (retrofitted, not redone) and wish them luck on their first year. Weather: Tornado watch, rain and a bit of hail on my way out of town.

Fort Wayne, Indiana. Amazing little start-up, these guys really have it going on--relationships, rigor, relevance, (the three new Rs in case you aren't aware) and they gave me a cute T. This is also a cute town (two chick-fil-as though I had no time to visit) and very friendly. I think the downtown area is clean and well-groomed with a couple of nice parks and fountains. The principal here is going to be my bff for the next three years because she says the things that I am thinking (but am kind of afraid to say.) If you are ever in the area, stop on by and check out all the cool things they are doing. I got to see one of my mission friends, Audrey, who just had the yummiest baby about 5 months ago. He smiled and cuddled with me and it made me miss my kids (though it was a nice break on my whirlwind work trip.) Weather: flash foods and a severe lack of visibility due to a serious downpour.

Indianapolis, Indiana. I HEART this airport. There are several "family" bathrooms with a chair and an electric outlet so I can take care of my, ahem, supply for Meg. Usually airports do not have such options, fyi. Also, they have this spa place so that you can get a "quick connection" massage if you like. I have a six hour layover (that is to say I got to the airport early in hopes of changing my flight, which I did, but I am still getting home at the same time only without the extra flight to Charlotte in between) so I actually decided to get the massage. I know that sounds very indulgent, but I have been working a lot of hours and have had some back pain the last few weeks that is worsened by several 2-4 hour drives, flights, etc. Additional boni at the Indy airport: reasonable amount of sit-down restaurants and book stores. Weather: Sun deceivingly shining to make you think that living here would actually be a reasonable prospect.

Overall I absolutely love the people here. The food is, well, meat, but I just think this is one of the nicest places. I miss North Carolina, but the work here is so good. I actually had a superintendent ask me what he could do to support a school better and the dedication to the schools is clear. Oh also, architecture of a school is highly valued so the Indiana schools are very, very pritty. Like you.

Maybe I could live here. Or maybe I will just visit each month.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a positive experience, since I am a Hoosier by birth. (I never did figure out what that means exactly, except someone from Indiana, though...) Did you meet any Dwight Schrute-like folks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Indiana....those were the good ole days. You almost make me miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went well. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You so deserve a massage. I could never keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony planned a road trip across America for next year (during our 10 hour drive home from ID) and it including Indiana and Illinois. So sick of driving, but since you're recommending those placing, maybe I'll give in to him.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios