Sunday, February 7, 2010

Travel reflections

I love to travel.  I have no issues with traveling as an experience itself.  I love to eat food (really, any food) without worrying about spending too much in my food budget.  I love to stay in a hotel in which I leave with my room a mess and come back with my bed made and my towels folded nicely.   Watching full cable has its benefits as well as a gym in the basement or 11th floor depending on the hotel.

I sometimes get a suite upgrade, sometimes a whirlpool, and frequently nicely scented soaps to stock up for home use.  (I know it seems weird, but you figure if I pick up 5 a month then I never have to buy soap for you to wash your hands when you come over.)

I like the hours on the plane in which I can watch a movie on my phone or listen to a book.  The first class upgrades are enjoyable, I won't lie, in spite of my initial distaste of being part of the bourgeoisie. 

Most of all, and here comes the guilt, I love the uninterrupted night of sleep. 

Regardless of the sense of freedom of schedule, the soft pillows, and the filet mignon, I have decided that I am finally getting burned out on the travel.  It hit me like a cement truck this evening when I was down at my church building listening to someone speak about temple attendance (ahem, looong overdue.)

Here are the reasons why I dislike travel, the real reasons mixed in with the superficial

1.  When I am home for three weeks in a row I can usually drop 3-5 lbs from going to the gym and eating right.  When I travel for one week, I gain it all back.  What a waste.

2.  I can't seem to fall asleep without Steve so I end up staying up way too late and even then can't fall asleep.  I thought it was hotels, but we traveled to the UK a few years ago and in spite of being extremely low quality hotels (thank you señor cheapness) I fell asleep with absolutely zero effort.  I guess I just am accustomed to having him by my side.

3.  I am unreliable.  No matter the place--church, kids school, community sporting events, etc. you can pretty much guarantee that I have missed something very important.  Pinewood derby three years running, Kinder graduation, dance events, and much, much more.

4.  I miss my friend Katie when I travel.

5. When in town I watch American Idol, Glee, and sometimes Project Runway.  When I go out of town I get behind and it takes me weeks, sometimes months to catch up!!

6.  When I am in home and have a commitment I feel tremendous guilt if I keep it--like a birthday party, GNO, or church activity.  Or even something non-comittal like the gym will bring about guilt. Anything that takes me away from my family is a tough decision and makes me feel like a terrible mother and wife.

7.  I get used to being on my own and then when I come back into town, I have a hard time engaging.

8.  Most hotels have soft pillows.  I like thinner, firmer pillows in which my head does not feel like it got sucked into a vacuum.

9.  Breakfast in the midwest=disgusting.  Those places have not seen a piece of fresh fruit or a container of yogurt without aspartame ever.

10.  The temptation to spend money at Target.

So my next trip isn't for a few weeks.  Hopefully by then I will have dropped a few more pounds.

6 comments:

  1. The goods vs the bads. Which will it be? ::sigh:: good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #2 and #10. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're brave. My imagination is too big and too creepy to ever sleep in a hotel by myself. I'd terrorize myself all night long with thoughts of ax murderers hiding under the bed. And I hate puffy pillows too. You're doubly brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you too when you travel. Maybe another advantage is that it gets me used to you being out of state, so I won’t miss you as much when I move?

    Nope. Not true. Sniff.

    (By the way, this list is full of excellent conclusions. What data protocol did you use?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to start a pillow fight. Suck my head into a vacuum please, I love soft pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 makes me go "aw" in a totally genuine way. Steve must feel loved.

    Does this mean that you might consider some other career path? Something non-travelish?

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios