What kinds of chores does the primary breadwinner do at your house vs. the at-home person? How did you come to that decision? If you both work, how do you divide household duties?
Shed does the dishes sometimes. He picks up after the kids if he is around. He also does nice things sometimes just because. But on a regular-scheduled basis he doesn't have anything that is "his" job. The trash,etc. is even part of the boys jobs.
Didn't want to leave this follow up comment on my blog to discourage fellow Book Clubbers, but I'm not a fan of FLIPPED. Not sure if you know the story line so in short it's the male/female sides of a 3rd to 8th grade romance. First of all, I am CONTRA elementary romance. Yes, I was always mature for my age. Secondly, the MAWIAGE of the adults goes awry so me no likey.
Hey, I'm starting to talk like MEMZ and Landee. Shout out y'all!
I do laundry and dishes. I generally help with homework and bathtime and what not.
He cooks, does deep cleaning, straightens up most of the time, does the bills, does yardwork, kills bugs, cleans cat litter, changes lightbulbs. Anything involving a ladder--his job.
I feel like I have a more stressful job. He has more time off. So yeah. And I have my running which sucks tons of time out of my life. So yeah.
I guess I'm supposed to do all the house work, but I don't always stay on top of things. Anthony totally picks up my slack. He does most of the laundry and does the dishes at least half of the time, and will spend a Saturday deep cleaning a room or cleaning out a closet or whatever. He has never once complained that I'm not doing enough, although he has every right to. His mom was a hoarder (like the kind you see on Oprah) so he doesn't know any better and thinks I'm so neat and tidy and is always complimenting me on how great the house looks and how great I'm doing. He thinks I'm the best cook ever if I microwave his Lean Cuisine for him instead of making him do it himself. Poor guy.
Kev hates cooking, and I hate dishes, so that one's easy. Kevin dislikes quick clean up tasks and enjoys heavy cleaning, so you'll find me picking up the living room while he scrubs the bathtub. And anything that must be done out of the house (groceries, laundry, etc.) will be handled by the person most needing a break from a certain toddler.
Mark is gone most weeks Mon-Thursday, so that would be me in a tanked house those days. (Actually the kitchen gets cleaned most nights. And the front room stays clean because there's nothing to do in there.) But when he's home, I ask for lots of help. We decided when we got married, whoever cooks, the other one cleans up afterwards. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes I cook & clean and he takes the kids. Saturdays he takes the kids or one or two of them and they clean the bathroom or mow the lawn together. He's good at making them work.
It's kinda always been the same no matter who was earning the dough. I hate to do laundry and Colin hates dishes, so we settled on that pretty quickly. We both neglect vacuuming equally. I do most of the cooking because I like to but Colin often does the weekend meals. We do our finances together every FHE after Ren goes to bed.
We never really discussed "roles" initially, but we have discussed the breakdown since then many times and found it funny.
Andrew does all dishes. I know exactly why this happened. I am a person who doesn't leave the kitchen until it is clean after a meal. Andrew is not. I hate having to wash dishes to be able to get to my sink. His family kept clean dishes in their dishwasher and dirty dishes in their sink and that was nearly sacrilegious in my household. Now we have no dishwasher- so he does dishes every afternoon.
Due to his class schedule and my calling, I cook Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some weekends. He cooks Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Teaching Andrew how to search for recipes online was the smartest thing I ever did.
I do finances, gardening, vacuuming, dusting, deep cleaning on Saturday mornings, swiffering because I think it is fun, and filing.
Andrew cleans up his stacks of paper and books that litter our living room every time I ask. This translates to every time our home teachers come or I want to vacuum. He also takes out the recycling.
We both do laundry. I don't mind it. He does it when he needs underwear.
We will probably have to renegotiate this system when we have kids and/or Andrew graduates.
Cherie does all the work that she knows wouldn't get done if she didn't do it. So ya, that's pretty much everything.
ReplyDeleteMarkie hit it right on the head.
ReplyDeleteGty does the dishes... sometimes.... end of story.
Shed does the dishes sometimes. He picks up after the kids if he is around. He also does nice things sometimes just because. But on a regular-scheduled basis he doesn't have anything that is "his" job. The trash,etc. is even part of the boys jobs.
ReplyDeleteDivision of Labor - HAH!
ReplyDeleteDidn't want to leave this follow up comment on my blog to discourage fellow Book Clubbers, but I'm not a fan of FLIPPED. Not sure if you know the story line so in short it's the male/female sides of a 3rd to 8th grade romance. First of all, I am CONTRA elementary romance. Yes, I was always mature for my age. Secondly, the MAWIAGE of the adults goes awry so me no likey.
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm starting to talk like MEMZ and Landee. Shout out y'all!
shout out!
ReplyDeleteI do laundry and dishes. I generally help with homework and bathtime and what not.
ReplyDeleteHe cooks, does deep cleaning, straightens up most of the time, does the bills, does yardwork, kills bugs, cleans cat litter, changes lightbulbs. Anything involving a ladder--his job.
I feel like I have a more stressful job. He has more time off. So yeah. And I have my running which sucks tons of time out of my life. So yeah.
I guess I'm supposed to do all the house work, but I don't always stay on top of things. Anthony totally picks up my slack. He does most of the laundry and does the dishes at least half of the time, and will spend a Saturday deep cleaning a room or cleaning out a closet or whatever. He has never once complained that I'm not doing enough, although he has every right to. His mom was a hoarder (like the kind you see on Oprah) so he doesn't know any better and thinks I'm so neat and tidy and is always complimenting me on how great the house looks and how great I'm doing. He thinks I'm the best cook ever if I microwave his Lean Cuisine for him instead of making him do it himself. Poor guy.
ReplyDeleteKev hates cooking, and I hate dishes, so that one's easy. Kevin dislikes quick clean up tasks and enjoys heavy cleaning, so you'll find me picking up the living room while he scrubs the bathtub. And anything that must be done out of the house (groceries, laundry, etc.) will be handled by the person most needing a break from a certain toddler.
ReplyDeleteHow'd you make that label cloud? I want to put it on the Smart Remarks blog. Can you do it? Or tell me how? kthanksbye
ReplyDeleteMark is gone most weeks Mon-Thursday, so that would be me in a tanked house those days. (Actually the kitchen gets cleaned most nights. And the front room stays clean because there's nothing to do in there.) But when he's home, I ask for lots of help. We decided when we got married, whoever cooks, the other one cleans up afterwards. It doesn't always work out that way, sometimes I cook & clean and he takes the kids. Saturdays he takes the kids or one or two of them and they clean the bathroom or mow the lawn together. He's good at making them work.
ReplyDeleteIt's kinda always been the same no matter who was earning the dough. I hate to do laundry and Colin hates dishes, so we settled on that pretty quickly. We both neglect vacuuming equally. I do most of the cooking because I like to but Colin often does the weekend meals. We do our finances together every FHE after Ren goes to bed.
ReplyDeleteWe never really discussed "roles" initially, but we have discussed the breakdown since then many times and found it funny.
ReplyDeleteAndrew does all dishes. I know exactly why this happened. I am a person who doesn't leave the kitchen until it is clean after a meal. Andrew is not. I hate having to wash dishes to be able to get to my sink. His family kept clean dishes in their dishwasher and dirty dishes in their sink and that was nearly sacrilegious in my household. Now we have no dishwasher- so he does dishes every afternoon.
Due to his class schedule and my calling, I cook Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some weekends. He cooks Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Teaching Andrew how to search for recipes online was the smartest thing I ever did.
I do finances, gardening, vacuuming, dusting, deep cleaning on Saturday mornings, swiffering because I think it is fun, and filing.
Andrew cleans up his stacks of paper and books that litter our living room every time I ask. This translates to every time our home teachers come or I want to vacuum. He also takes out the recycling.
We both do laundry. I don't mind it. He does it when he needs underwear.
We will probably have to renegotiate this system when we have kids and/or Andrew graduates.