My poor husband has been misquoted in my previous post and I owe it to him and the Beehive state to correct it. His quote as I wrote it up:
"Hey people can say what they want about Utah but I was never offered drugs, alcohol, or sex while in HS. Can any Californians say the same?"
Apparently he felt that out of context this simply reinforced some stereo-type that Utahns are self-righteous or something and he wanted to point out that he in fact has only said this once and it was in response to the argument that being around a lot of other Mormons would make someone feel less "peculiar." The argument "well our family is Mormon therefore we do not ______________" that our fellow church members in Cali (and other states) use to stand up for their beliefs wouldn't work in Utah because the response obviously could be "well my family is Mormon and we do ____________, so what?" His point was to only debunk that particular argument, never to show in comparison with Cali or any other God-forsaken state in the mission field.
He still doesn't think this retraction is good enough but it was the best I could do. He can start his own blog if he doesn't want his wife constantly misquoting him. I guarantee it was not the last time but because I love him, I will try harder.
I love retractions.
ReplyDeleteI think you're just going to make him madder.
ReplyDeleteA stark contrast I have found between Utah and California is in the public transportation system. Maybe it's just my particular bus route, which is primarily taking people to BYU, but the majority of the passengers are clean, neatly dressed people who are passing the time on the bus by reading Ensigns, Scriptures, Priesthood/Relief Society manuals, or textbooks on math, physics, chemistry, foreign languages, and the like.
ReplyDeleteThe buses I have taken in California usually have people talking to themselves and drinking foul smelling liquids out of bottles in brown paper bags.
Well, I don't think that's a self-righteous statement anyway. It's just true.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, I grew up in CA (with not many LDS) and then moved to ID (which has a huge LDS pop) when I was a teenager. When I lived in CA, I was never teased, judged, or felt self-conscious about my religion. We were such a small group, it didn't seem to matter to my peers. It was quite a shock to move to ID and for the first time feel a huge social backlash because of the large percentage of LDS students at my HS. I would have rather dealt with the pressures of drugs/sex/alcohol, which was a no-brainier to me, than deal with feeling bad about who I was. But actually, the school I would have gone to in CA was a scary ghetto school, so maybe not.
the sad but inevitable fate of the spouse of a blogger.
ReplyDeleteThat's twice in one week you've gotten in trouble for use of the word 'sex.'
ReplyDelete