SO nice to be back in town. Except the sad truth is we were WAY warmer in Utah since we came home to a cold empty apt. at 2 am.
My clever friend Katie is doing a little giveaway on her site in honor of a lousy economy. I have decided that is a WAY fun idea so I am going to copy her here and offer up a prize to my friends as well.
I LOVE top ten lists and year-end reviews, top songs of the year, etc. and one of my favorite things to read each year is Dave Barry's year in review. So in order to qualify for the prize I am going to give away all you have to do is comment on this post with your favorite song/book/event from 2008.
Unlike Katie, I don't have anything classy to give away, and I also have no idea how to generate a random number online, so I am going to personally judge which item I like the best and the winner will get a loaf of my favorite homemade bread (whole grain of course) and a CD of my favorite songs of 2008. Warning: I doubt any songs were actually released in 08.
If you don't want to win, you can comment anyway with a little *not interested in there somewhere or you can indicate if you want to win but request white bread instead of whole grain. I promise it will not disqualify you.
Ok, first of all, generating a random number online is easy. You go to http://www.random.org/integers/
ReplyDeleteI mention this because I have more confidence in being picked at random than being picked based on my witty and creative comment.
Now, favorite book of the year is easy... The Hunger Games of course!
Favorite event of '08: Family reunion cruise. Second runner up... my mom's 80th B-Day party... and a close third... The Smart Remarks book club meeting for The Hunger Games.
Favorite Song of '08: "Oh No You Di'int" - sung by I don't know who, and heard on Jenny SpecialPower's Playlist.
Oh, and definitely whole grain... thanks!
Favorite Book: Can't do just one. I'll do one per category. Not all published this year. But I read them this year.
ReplyDelete(Girl Memoir) Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love
(Boy Memoir) Chuck Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story
(General Popular Non-Fiction) Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers
(Psychology) Daniel Gilbert's Stumbling On Happiness
(Neurology) Daniel Levitin's This Is Your Brain on Music
(Sociology) Benjamin Nugent's American Nerd
(Food) Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food
-------
Favorite Songs--I literally went to iTunes and sorts by Year to make sure I found some from 2008. Most of my favorite music IS NOT from this 2008. I'm a bit partial to the 80s and 90s.
These Stones Will Shout --The Raconteurs (intense love for this one! But I am a huge White Stripes fan, so I have to like the Raconteurs)
Run (I'm a Natural Disaster)--Gnarls Barkley
You--Atmosphere (WARNING: some naughty language, but positive message and I think it is so catchy)
Green Light-- John Legend featuring Andre 3000
----
Favorite Event: Finishing my 1/2 marathon
Fave Book: The Hunger Games--- derrrr!
ReplyDeleteFave Event: Toss up between your visit out here & my cruise. I also liked that crazy lady at a McCain rally calling Osama an Arab & McCain ganking the mic from her.
Fave Song: Supermassive Blackhole by Muse for extremely obvious reasons.
*I'm totally interested in winning and I INSIST on whole grain. I'm soooper healthy like that.
My favorite event of 2008?
ReplyDeleteHas to be hearing 'Bust a Move' at church.
My favorite quote of the year came on the last day of 2008.
ReplyDelete"Mom, you ruined my ENTIRE life," courtesy of Hudson. Now that that is checked off my To Do list, I can carry on with 2009.
My favorite event of the year- gas dropping into the $1 range. That makes me dance a jig.
Happy New Year 2009!
favorite moment: when the polls closed on an insane and painfully long election.
ReplyDeletesecond favorite: when i won a raffle.
http://thejervian.blogspot.com/2008/02/true-love.html
Best way to spend 42 minutes online: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Because not enough blogs are sing-alongable.
ReplyDeleteYou can watch it here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog .
Wha? You changed your name from "Queso" to "Flem".
ReplyDeleteGuess I'm not the first to notice the name changeroo.
ReplyDeleteKinda cheating here because it's not really an event, but discovering Google Reader http://www.google.com/help/reader/tour.html
ReplyDeleteCould not read through all of my dear friends' blogs without it!
My personal favorite event from 2008 was the Coldplay show. My life is now diminished because I know what I'm missing.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite event for the year is Obama's election night, when crowds of people all over the world thronged together to celebrate hope.
Of course my favorite book of 08 is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Nothing even comes close. In fact, it's the best book ever written.
ReplyDeleteThe only new artist of 08 that I can think of is Vampire Weekend, and I likey very much, but they SO need to release clean versions.
I have many *personal* favorite events of 08. Buying into all that super fun Twilight hype, online book club that introduced me to new books/authors/genres, typing wyrds rong, super fun vacays to places I've never been, my world shrinking via blogs and facebook, and meeting strangers via the internet.
Can you mail bread? I had no idea.
My absolute favorite song 2008 has got to be Vivian's rendition of Louie Louie for her grandmother. Performed in a blue wig.
ReplyDeletefav. event---visiting you and enjoying your delish soup and rolls of course! Howse that for a kiss-up? seriously I would enjoy those recipes!
ReplyDeleteHere are your random numbers:
ReplyDelete2
Timestamp: 2009-01-08 03:52:56 UTC
Curses... I should have created my own random number site and directed you to that one. It would always spit out a 1 of course.
ReplyDeleteDid I win a CD and loaf of bread?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
ReplyDelete