Sunday, February 1, 2009

Childless??

So some couples just do not have children. Not because they can't but because they just are not interested.

For those who do not have children my kind of people are referred to as "breeders." While this is meant with disdain, those of us who are breeders do not take it offensively and to the contrary might even wear it with a badge of pride as in, I am doing the duty of my generation to maintain the population, economy, etc. In terms of the evolutionary battle, we are, as it were, the winners, because our genetic code will long outlast the presence on this earth of those without progeny. So what do we call these non-breeders? For people who cannot have children but want children, the term "childless" seems heartless and cruel (at least to breeders). But for people who choose not to have children, I wonder if the term is an insult.

A Harvard Professor completed a study on "happiness" and determined that those without children are indeed happier. Those with children were of course up in arms because how could we have been so stupid? The study must be wrong.

I do not question this study. I believe that people without children honestly believe that they are happier. Even now as my family is reading together, three children on the couch listening to a reading of Watership Down, and one playing happily in her room, I know my minutes are *numbered. I know that the second this blog is completed (or before), I must cook or clean, get someone ready for church, play a game of monopoly (star wars clone wars edition which is awesome btw), or even worse and more likely, break up a fight of some kind.

I do not have any alone time nor do I have the indulgence of paying attention to my own needs on a minute-to-minute basis. If I want "time alone" it requires the sacrifice of my partner in crime who might want time alone to actually complete his program.

My "happiest" moments are really more about short-lived peace and harmony, a house of cards.

As a woman who considers myself happy AND a mother of four, here are my comments on the study:

1) How can you compare apples and oranges? Can a woman who has never felt the joy of a child believing in her unconditionally really know that she has missed out? Can a man who has never heard a child say "because my dad says so" know that he could be happier?

2) How can you quantify happiness? Is being able to go to your hot yoga class anytime of day with no constraints happiness? Is going out to eat without considering child care what makes a soul joyful?

3) What were the ages of the people in the study? 30-year old women who have a career that fulfills their lives compared to the 30-year olds of my demographic who are doing more laundry a day than their childless counterparts do in a week? I would like to see a sincere comparison of 60 year-old women who are childless, and the breeders with grandchildren AND free time. Now that humans live to be 80 years old on average and you can enjoy 20 years of retirement without children regardless of your childless/breeder status, is there a difference in the happiness levels there?

4) Were we born to be enjoy every single minute of our day? Or look back on our weeks and feel productive? Are lions happier when they hunt, eat, die, or are they happier when they hunt, provide for their children, then eat, see a continuance of their genetic code, and then die? Even more importantly, can you truly be like a creator, a God if you do not have children yourself? Can you understand the relationship we must try to develop with our Heavenly Father if we are not fathers and mothers ourselves?

5) There are a lot of myths about raising children that the childless might celebrate mistakenly and add to their happiness. Gaining weight per child for example--true that the body rearranges, but research indicates that women simply gain weight as they age and women with children only have on average 1-2 more lbs per child. There is the myth that you must pay for your child's college education. You can do so, but there are other ways to pay for college (scholarships, grants, and loans, and heaven forbid, working your way through school). There is also a myth that a woman is more fulfilled working than having children or that you can't do both (though it is hard peeps). A childless woman might say "I am so glad I have my career and I am not getting fat while saving my money for college when I can be thinny thinnerson and spend my hard-earned money on my iphone instead" and THINK they are happier when a woman with children might say "thank goodness I have time to go to the gym that provides childcare so I can be fit and I am buying an iphone since my kids are paying for their own college experience."

Lastly, this study about the happiness factor works well in my favor so I say, study on. Find more reasons to convince people not to have children. The fewer children that people have, the more likely it is that my genetic code will live on as the rescuers of society, those who make decisions that will affect the future. The childless who die without heirs must put their money elsewhere, like donating to art programs which my children can benefit from, or to hospice, which I myself can benefit from someday. The more people decide not to have children, the more that women like Nancy Pelosi (5) Sarah Palin (5) and Soledad O'Brien (4) will seem amazing for both a successful career and a happy family.

Here is a kind of funny article in Newsweek about the study.

So the real question on this post is what do you call a non-breeder? A evolutionary dead end seems rude.

* During the course of this post I changed a messy diaper, wet bedding, broke up two fights, settled an argument, said "no" to 5 requests, and asked twice for children to be more gentle with the baby.

13 comments:

  1. Do you remember when you were 18 and you thought you were so smart and mature and that you didn't have all that much more to learn? Well, I do. Now 15+ years and two kids later, I have come to realize that there is NO substitute for experience. How could I possibly understand the range of emotions involved with motherhood (and everything else for that matter) without experiencing it for myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "dead enders?"

    And I think you and Steve have put together a pretty terrific set of genes to continue the species.

    Happiness is that feeling you get when arms go around your neck and someone whispers, "I sure love you, Mommy!" I still have the picture Bob brought home from school in 2nd grade, labeled "You're out of this world!" He'd drawn a picture of me in a rocket, blasting off into space. It's one of my treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think how boring all these blogs would be if we didn't have kids.
    Those of us with kids are living our lives learning how to please others. We are learning how to be selfless, we are learning to have more patience, we are learning to be better at laughing things off, we are constantly being given the opportunity to give service, and if we are doing it all right, we are having fun with it. And I'm with you on the gene pool thing. I think I am doing the world a huge disservice stopping at four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you read Stumbling without Happiness by Daniel Gilbert, it might make sense. (I did not click the link.) I assume he is the Harvard professor. (I'm clearly the nerdiest girl in class today. Where is my prize.) It is a fairly quick read.

    That book is VERY enlightening. The main premise is that one cannot predict what will make him/her happy. It all has to do with flaws in our memory, perception, and imagination for the future. Since our imagination for the future is based on past (memory) and present (perception).

    Who cares about happiness? What about people minding their own business? (Not you.)

    Unless you are the single woman in SoCal who just had octuplets to join her six kids at her parents' home (since she doesn't have her own.), you shouldn't be judged for the number of children you have!

    Try having one. Those who have more cannot understand why you won't have more look at you with pity while the childless don't understand why you had one in the first place.

    It isn't a competition. No on is better than another. Some people REALLY shouldn't have children. I say good for them for not having children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think of married people without children as "single."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these political rants. Yesterday I went to a stake RS conf in which we were told, "Joy is not a natural state, because if you only did what felt natural, you would never feel joy." That would seem to be the problem with the test... sure, maybe the childless folks have more pleasures (no maybe about it, I'm sure they do), but joy? I don't know about others, but a joy I didn't know existed entered my life upon having my first child.
    Which is why I named her Felicity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen. Breed on sister. Breed on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying (really really hard) to reserve judgment on the octuplet lady, because I think the mistake is not whether or not to have how many children, but the mistake is when we set some kind of standard that we expect other people to live up to. People frequently tell me, "Wow, you sure have your hands full..." which I think they are usually just being friendly, but I am surprised at how often people will tell me, "You have too many kids!" I think they mean to be funny, but would they think it was funny if I told them they were too fat? (Which is true of one neighbor who likes to tell me every time he sees me.) How is it any different? They are both opinions--arbitrary standards--, they are both personal depending on physical/emotional characteristics of each person, they are both none of your business. Yet one is considered rude, the other is a funny joke. I still haven't come up with any good responses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched a show on TLC about polygamists, and now I changed my mind. There is such thing as too many kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was happily single and didn't start "breeding" until I was 27. I know that isn't very old, but I had been around supporting myself for awhile. I would never go back. My kids make me so angry I could spit nails, but they make me so happy I cry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about "Dying Aloners." I pity them, the same way they pity me, the only difference is I've experienced both and they haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your comments. Really, how can anyone say he/she's happier without something that he/she knows nothing about?

    Though I'm not technically a "breeder" I'm grateful to be lumped in with a proud group called "mothers."

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios