Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine Candy

I LOVE to make treats. I don't always have time for this but I really do think it would be fun to be a pastry chef. I would love to have someone else make all the stuff for me and then have me decorate or something since my time is somewhat limited in the kitchen these days.

Anyway, obviously it is not a good fit that the school where my kids spend mucho tiempo has a sugar ban. They send home notices saying things like "please respect our no candy policy as you prepare your valentines." Über lame. If I didn't love the school so much I would have to switch solely to be able to bring cupcakes and cookies to school parties.

When Casey was in kinder we used to take chocolate chips and cover them in tinfoil and then tape them on the valentines, like little kisses. It was so cute! This year we had to settle for paper roses instead of making little chocolate cupcakes like I would have in my dreams. The sad part is, I bet the kids will be like "what? paper? where is the candy?" because their parents will have ignored the policy. Why do I feel like I can't violate these rules? I aspire to be a rule breaker. Here is a pic of the final producto:

























I was going to also post on these topics but I ran out of time this morning due to feeling some loyalty to my awesome job. If you want my opinion on these topics email me for deets:

1. Why parents who are getting kicked out of SBUSD because of their attempt to become a Basic Aid district sooner (aka excess revenue) should be aiming their anger at the school district where they reside and demanding their own quality school.

2. My Idol faves aka I heart blue collar men.

7 comments:

  1. My school had a sugar ban, but they also had a heart. Kids were allowed sweets on special occasions. You should have a talk with that one mom (because you know it is just one angry mom) about allowing candy once a month. I think that is a good compromise. My school has birthdays once a month for this reason.

    How are kids supposed to make friends, if they can't bring candy? You know the kid that brings just a valentine isn't opening any doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school district has a sugar ban too. On birthdays, they ask us to bring fruits and vegis. For my 2nd grader's Valentines party, we're supposed to bring ranch dressing. What the?

    And I just revealed my top picks for AI on my blog, so you gotta reveal yours. Blind guy better be on your list, or you're heartless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the paper hearts. Madison would love to make those and receive them. Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of a fascist society are we living in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY need to teach you how to be a rule breaker. Because no candy on holidays is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be your neighbor. When did you say you might be in Utah again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be the REFORMER who commented on the article.

    Yikes.

    Confession time: I like the no sweets sugar ban at schools.

    Please don't stone me.

    I know peeps who have to have their kiddos on a special diet for whatever reason. Who am I to judge their parenting choices? Some ingredients can really wreak havoc with certain kids.

    My kid isn't one, but I respect my friend and wouldn't want life to be tougher for her child.

    I'm apparently the fascist commenter.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios