Monday, February 9, 2009

Ode to the Man

So after I posted about the missing child, Steve asked me if he should stop going to church now that people in the ward know what happened.

I asked permission, I really did. Both for telling people in real life (I didn't ask before texting my bff but that doesn't count) and for the post. I even read it to him before I clicked "publish."

But now I think he feels bad about it. And why shouldn't he?

However I need to clarify something here. For what it is worth, I am the most happily married person I know. Sure there are a few of you out there who claim marital bliss and I believe you but I think no one really knows what a miserable person I would be without Steve. Here are some things he provides for me that no other husband could ever give me:

-Ongoing comic relief. He is seriously one of the funniest people you will never know. He is shy so it doesn't come out in public too much but he is witttttty. Also, his absent-minded professorness is just funny to me and he never, ever minds when I make fun of him. I hope he knows that I love that about him and appreciate that he appreciates my humor. Sometimes I worry people think I don't know I am making fun of him but I really do.

--Total support of any endeavor I wish to pursue. Once a woman said I was amazing because I do so much and then she stopped short and said "but your husband lets you." I scoffed her internally (externally too in the retelling) but realized that in spite of her anti-feminism she was onto something. What kind of man says "honey go ahead and go to choir and I will stay with the kids" and then really, really doesn't mind. He also supports my cockamamie schemes like hand-grinding the meat for my homemade tortellini (completely unnecessary) for my final in my history of Italy course. And putting orange yarn on hats for some dance thing that in the end my kids are not even going to do. I once told him I was going to quit as the secretary for the governing council at my kids school and came home the president on accident. He didn't blink an eye and just worried about how I was going to accomplish it.

--Intellectual conversation. You can NOT underestimate the value of this to me. He not only teaches me something every day but he actually listens to all my bullcrap about education reform and incorporates my work lingo into his vocabulary. He even acts interested when he is listening to me.

--Dishes. Laundry. Flowers when I get back in town 90% of the time (except when friends are coming from out of town because he likes to put on a show that he doesn't do anything for me).

--The best chocolate cookies on the planet. If you doubt this, you have never eaten his cookies.

--Unlimited hugs. Seriously there is no limit. Ever.

--An ongoing smirk on his face that seems as if he is making fun of other people. Since he would never actually make fun of other people, I get to pretend like he is and internally laugh while he is probably reviewing in his head some old Simpson's episode.

--In the middle of an economic crisis and a future that did not portend well I bought an iphone. In spite of his cheapness, he didn't say anything, just seems happy that I enjoy it. Cuz that is the kind of guy he is.

--Oh and keeps us from total financial ruin. That one is a very true and serious reality that I could never, ever thank him enough for giving to me. I may be the one who works but he is the one who makes our family and finances work out.

Without him=me, broke, unfulfilled, probably childless, and utterly lacking in good stories.

12 comments:

  1. "reviewing in his head some old Simpson's episode" -
    sounds like a brother from another mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided that after seeing you all over the blogs that I frequent, that there must be something special about you...
    Don't think I am crazy. I just like to blog, that's all.

    Now you are good for 10 more "things about my husband that annoy the crap out of me" blog posts

    ...is it okay if I add you to my list? Circle one

    yes no

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two posts are clear evidence that you both care enough to get it right. That will serve you well for a long time.

    And speaking of a long time, maybe you don't want to look at it this way but I suspect that this will give you some good laughs for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve sounds wunderbar! I don't think anyone thought less of him for accidentally leaving Meg, but it was still so sad. I think it was the somber expression that did it. Coupled with the fact that she is freakishly cute.

    Glad to see your musica back. And it says you have "1 new crush." Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy watching how much you and Steve enjoy each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do have a fabulous husband, although he likes to hide his positive traits. How many guys am I still friends with, 13 years after high school? Um... I think just him. Mark and I really enjoyed his visits in NJ. Too bad there's no church history in TX.

    And by the way, I know you were totally freaked about Meg getting left, but I thought it was no big deal... my mom used to leave the baby napping while she ran a quick errand all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See your last post for my REAL comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not surprised that JoEllen wasn't freaked out. When we lived in the same building, she used to run errands with napping babies, too. Or send her kids down the elevator solo to my house. Obviously her kids are much smarter and responsibler than mine so they never got off at the wrong floor and got lost (accidentally on purpose).

    I would be panicked, too. But I certainly don't think any less of him, because I have done worse. So while your ode was unnecessary to convince me that he is alright, it is nice to know that you married someone fabulous enough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this is your Valentine to him!

    I really like your husband. I wish he would blog. Tell him to blog.

    ::or does he already and I'm not invited?::

    Honestly, it almost happened to me. I have one child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are definitely the yin to each other's yang. I still can't figure out why he does the "I Don't Do Jack Crap Around Here" show when we show up in town but he has his reasons I guess.

    I'm definitely grateful that he keeps you out of financial ruin and pretends to listen while you ramble on about work. And maybe someday I'll get to taste those delish sounding chocolate cookies. If Gty knew where a measuring cup was I'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve is/was the most contientious home teacher we've ever had. No that you can add that to YOUR list of his good traits, but it is on mine.

    And those cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios