So I got a phone call at the end of school yesterday from Bridget's teacher saying "Bridget was disrespectful to the lunch lady today."
She proceeded to explain that Bridgie had out the forbidden goods and when the LL told her to put it away she was rude to her.
I listened to the story and started to get irritated that my daughter who is really a pretty amazing student in every other way, is getting in trouble for the contents of her lunch. So I get kind of worked up and say, and I wish I regret that I said this, "This is going to sound really, really rude, but how is it the school's business what I put in my children's lunch?"
The teacher gave me a song and dance, very politely I might add, about how poor nutrition affects achievement. I asked her, very politely I might add, if she felt that Bridget was not succeeding academically in the classroom and she responded "Of COURSE not!!!"
We get to the real reason why she is calling which was that Bridget had been rude. When LL told her to put away her chocolate, Bridget responded by saying "This isn't your problem."I swore to the teacher that I never told Bridget that (even tho it is a way true statement).
But we did want to help her learn to express herself in a more respectful way so we did some role playing to help her figure out something better to say. Casey walked by when we were talking to Bridget about this and said "I just put it in my mouth really fast and said it was chicken" and walked away. Steve commented that this dishonest, passive aggressive approach was much more effective.
PS The principal responded to my email (that was the real text I sent in case you thought I made it up for the blog) that the LL are only supposed to make sure all kids eat, not examine the contents and that they might have gotten it confused with the no candy in class policy. She is going to speak with them.
If it happens again I am sending a note that says call my mom with any questions. In Spanish si claro.
Both Casey and Bridget crack me up! They're both creative problem solvers!
ReplyDeleteYour stories are hilarious! BTW, we have been w/o a computer for almost 2 weeks and I thought I was going to die. Life is slowly going back to normal after the dead computer. I only tell you this b/c I didn't have a computer on the day of your b-day and just want to say Happy Belated b-day!!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this whole scenario, and I LOVED both your kids responses. It reminds me of one of my all time favorite movies - School Of Rock.
ReplyDeleteThe Man, oh, you don't know the Man. He's everywhere. In the White House... down the hall... Ms. Mullins, she's the Man. And the Man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the Man. It was called rock 'n roll
It sounds like your kids have Rock in their soul, and aren't afraid to stickitodaman. GREAT STUFF!!
Oh yes, that little uprising is making the world/lunchroom a better place. I am so glad you sent that message to the principal. I have this feeling that the LL was going to confiscate it for her own personal use. (Cops do this sort of thing all the time.)
ReplyDeleteOkay Lee, so now you have inspired me to email the Principal. Thanks for sharing part II of the email because it was well worth it!
ReplyDeleteI love Steve's response and Casey's solution.
ReplyDelete"This isn't your problem"????? That's hilarious!
ReplyDeleteSide note for Markie--the guy who wrote one of your all time favorite movies is on the Amazing race this season, in case you didn't know.
ReplyDeleteI think Bridget was right to say that it wasn't the lunch lady's problem.
ReplyDeleteBridget is my hero.