Monday, March 2, 2009

Advice Please

1. Bridget called me from school: "Is this Lee?" Yes. "Can you tell daddy to bring my pillow to school? Today is Dr. Seuss' birthday and I forgot to bring it?" Um. Why do you need your pillow? "Everyone has theirs!!! I need it, can you just please tell him to bring it?" Why are you crying? "Can you just tell him to bring it?"

School is 15 minutes down the road. Should we really bring the pillow? Would you?

2. I really need to schedule exercise. I need advice on how to do this. I hate running. Can you offer me any suggestions? Or at least motivation?

3. How bad is it to drink Diet Coke? It tastes like poison but it is somehow refreshing. I feel guilty but I really like it. Should I break down and buy some or should I continue to drop by my neighbors when I want some and periodically give her a couple of dollars?

4. Why am I gaining weight? I am not eating sugar, eating a very limited amount of simple carbs, and no chocolate. I am nursing this baby full-time and though I lost all the weight from the baby, over this last week I gained five pounds. FIVE.

5. How important is housework? I really think I should pick exercise and playing with my kids over the housework but then my husband ends up doing it and I feel really guilty. Specifically, dishes. Any advice here?

6. Should I move to the midwest? I can.

15 comments:

  1. These all sound like great questions for AskMemzy. You'll have to wait until tomorrow though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2) Can't help there. I have the same problem.

    3) I gave up Diet Coke about 3 weeks ago after reading about how it actually makes you GAIN weight. Now I switched to Mellow Yellew. Great, huh?

    4)Maybe it is the Diet Coke? Probably not. I haven't lost a thing by stopping drinking Diet Coke.

    5)That is what househusbands are (supposed to be) for!

    6)Been to the midwest... It's okay. Move to NC instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1--Yes, bring the pillow. If she went to the trouble to call, then it's important. That's all she'll think about until her pillow arrives, and if it never comes, her life will pretty much be over.

    2/5--According to the "Lose It" app, 1 hour of house cleaning burns 118 calories. Vacuuming is da bomb tho, it burns 148 cals. Two birds, one stone.

    3--Of course Diet Coke is good for you. It's DIET!!!

    4--Nursing burns calories, but increases your appetite, right? Or it could be that you gained muscle weight, which doesn't count.

    6--H yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 My opinion? There's a curse predicated on shunning chocolate. But you look great.

    #2 I'm up for walks but not tonight cause three words. Bachelor Season Finale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I would take the pillow if #1 she hasn't asked for many school deliveries before and #2 It isn't a drain on time (like if it's on the way to somewhere you have to go anyway). My friend has a "3 strikes and you're out" policy on bringing lunch, homework, shoes, etc to school that I think is a good idea. We all need a little break now and then.
    Is Steve ABD? Why do you want to move to the midwest? You seem pretty happy in CA. Moving is $$ and unless there's a definite reason to move there (job, family member who could use help, etc), it might be good to stay put, since you'll probably have to move again in the near future. Unless Steve is done?
    Don't feel guilty for not doing housework. It will still be there in 20 years when your kids are grown. Or do some very vigorously and count it as exercise. You don't have to run to exercise, do you like to swim? Have access to a free/cheap pool? Bike?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I'm the opposite of a Rescue Mom so I'd probably be like "Oh bummer... I wish you would have remembered that today!" ::all singsongy:: Better to learn this lesson now with a pillow rather than later with a term paper.

    2. Do you still belong to 24? You know I'm a fan of the classes. I hate running too. On Lose It regular ole "House Cleaning" for 2 hours burns 231 calories. Jespy is genius. Or run things over to your laundry room one piece of clothing at a time.

    3. How bad is it to drink Diet Coke? How BAD is it to drink Diet Coke? 1 being not bad at all and 10 being super bad I'd put it at a negative 100.

    4. You haven't installed the Lose It app, obviously.

    5. See #2.

    6. Yes. Anything to get out of the Devil's Playland (aka California).

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I would bring the pillow on the condition that Bridget helps with the housework.
    2. I like to groovy dance. You have to do it wildly. I will work up a sweat, and the time will fly by. Doesn't feel like exercise. (Must be done in private because it grosses out husbands)
    3. You re allowed a vice. I have heard that it does increase your risk of heart disease, and makes it harder to lose weight. I also know a bunch of skinny people that drink nothing but diet coke...aka Jenny, so...
    4. When you find out the answer, let me know. I am officially at the same weight I was when I was seven months pregnant. Eating the same as always
    5. I usually do minimal housework during the day, and clean like crazy for an hour just after my kids are tucked in. It is for me. So I can relax and think about the book I am reading instead of the dinner dishes that are still on the table leaving no room for breakfast.

    Also...Tom is my husband. He demands pictures of the kids every night when he is away.
    6. Who is in the midwest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. She didn't ask you to bring the pillow, she asked you to tell daddy to bring the pillow. So tell him and then it is his problem.

    2. I hate running too. Really really hate. I have lame dvds that I do at home. For cardio, one is Denise Austin's Personal Training System, the other is Kathy Kaehler's Total Body Workout and Get Fit Class. Both of them have several different options so depending on how much time I have I can do 10 minutes, 20, or 25. They both have strength/toning stuff too, but I mostly do cardio. I also have a Pilates dvd. (Can't remember her name, but don't really like her much either.) But I like pilates because you don't feel it much while you're doing it, you only do like 5 reps of each exercise, but then you wake up sore the next morning so you know it really did something. I try out dvds at the library too when I'm bored with what I have. Scheduling it is hard, but I just wear my workout clothes like all day (so comfy anyways) and grab the chance when the kids are occupied.

    4. 5 pounds is nothing. You're probably retaining water. Just wait til next week. Don't do anything drastic (like cut out Diet Coke).

    5. STOP FEELING GUILTY. Seriously. Stop. Paper plates. Bad for earth's environment but good for home's environment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa--big questions!

    1. I'm pretty stingy about running things to school. I'd cave if this were an isolated incident. (We all forgot the hats and pillows for Dr. Seuss day. Hope the boys aren't too grumpy about it when they get home.)

    2. Jillian Michaels 30-day shred. Super intense 20-minute routines that will kick your trash.

    3. Same issue here. I try for one a week. Why ARE they so refreshing? Billions in research?

    4. It's a blip and you'll be back to normal next week.

    5. The age-old Mary-Martha question. You know which side I err on. We kinda let things slide and then clean up after dinner and enjoy the tidy evening. Then everything's a disaster again by the time I come downstairs for breakfast.

    6. Would you get a raise? Could you buys a house? Wait--what about Steve? I'm not sure I can picture you in the midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's answer these in backwards order.

    6. No, the southeast sounds better. Like near Florida.

    5. If all you're concerned about is dishes, good for you! In fact, if you moved here, I bet you could get a place with a dishwasher. Problem solved.

    4. It's gonna get warmer here real soon, and you'll sweat it off in about five minutes. Next?

    3. What happened to the Hansen's?

    2. Stellan and I have been hiking 3-4 times a week. You could join us...

    1. I live three blocks away from a great school, and if Bridget attended that school, I could run her a pillow myself.

    So you see, moving to Florida would take care of all your problems. Just be careful about the move itself - could be hazardous to your stuff and your sanity...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obviously my comment is too late, but I would bring the pillow too! I had to turn around this morning because we forgot Madison's Dr Seuss book and blanket and it made her 15 min late. I love Diet Coke too, and I know nursing makes you more hungry because I lost all the baby weight too and have put on EIGHTEEN pounds since having lost it. I know, I am the most pathetic person you know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2. All my exercise advice is running based, so I can't help you. I LOVE running. Just me and the iPod and time ALONE! Can't beat it.

    3. How bad is it to drink Diet Coke? Do you really want to know the truth. HORRIBLE! FACT: People who drink diet sodas with fake chemical sugars consume MORE calories than people who drink regular HFCS soda. Stay away from the soda. Sparkling water + Juice = refreshing.

    4. The Diet Coke with its chemical fake sugar is actually inducing certain craving. Seriously. In order to truly gain five pounds this week you would have had to consume like an additional 2500 calories per day. I'm guessing water weight.

    5. Housework does burn calories. Think of it as a bonus.

    6. Having never been the midwest, can't advise you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you don't have any pressing engagements you should bring the pillow. Those are the things that kids remember for a long time.

    Don't know about the other two but as for the last one you should move only if it is to Spanish Fork, UT because that is where we are moving in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't remember the order of your questions (because I was coordinating multiple Dr. Seuss birthdays today):

    1. I was at several schools today and many children survived without their pillow. Or their crazy hat. I taught one kids how to make a pillow out of his sweatshirt.

    2. I will walk with you. I used to run twice a day, but haven't really had the heart lately. I also like to ride my bike because I get to move faster. Or, if you'd like, I could ask you to teach an exercise Mutual.

    4. I think you look great.

    5. Housework. Hmmm. A little bit everyday. Play music on one of your many electronic devices. Once that song is over, you get to stop. Make everyone do it with you.

    6. Don't move to the Midwest. I would be lonely. And there are tornadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You've got some good answers. I think I'll save my brain for AskMemzy tomorrow. But yeah,......I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios