Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Traditions

Every St. Patty's day we do Corned Beef and Cabbage with yummy potatoes. We dye the milk green to celebrate.

Last year AND this year my beloved husband has gone to the store and purchased the items only to realize that his wife would be out of town. This year we at least had some of it on Sunday in advance.

I love him and his name, and his black irish genes.

Does anyone else celebrate this non-holiday?

12 comments:

  1. You missed some green frosted brownies at playgroup today compliments of Lyndsi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely celebrate the real holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot today was St. Patty's day. Sent my kids to school without a SPECK of green on. JBird said he had to carry around his "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book cuz it was green. And Tbone kept his camo backpack on all day to avoid the pinches.

    I do consider it a fake holiday though so I didn't feel tooooo badly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are on their track break, so we just let this one slide. I had considered breaking out that mysterious-all the way in the back of the fridge, for who knows how long-leftover mess. I am sure it is very festively green, but decided I couldn't pass up half price happy meal night.

    Wait, we did celebrate. We went to McDonalds for half price happy meal night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a tradition on St. Patty's day... celebrate our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm..I remembered it was St. Patrick's day, told Luke I was part Irish, and made smoothies---not green, and not really in celebration, but it was kinda warm outside, we downed two pitchers and so it really did feel like a holiday! oh and in response to your politics post---I always respect the professors who don't bring their personal politics into the classroom--my favorites I have never actaully known how they vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got me...what are black irish genes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love black Irish genes. What if he had red Irish genes? Would you have still married him? If so, that's true love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family has no such tradition, but I discovered (just this year in fact, even though we've been married almost 7 years) that Kevin comes from a home steeped in St. Paddy's tradition. For example, every year, the Cook kids would wake to wee leprechaun footprints in a trail that led to the "traditional" St. Paddy's Day treat, Andes mints. When I informed Kevin that most people wouldn't even think to associate St. Patrick's Day with Andes mints, he was very surprised.
    Lucky for us, his mom sent a care package with both paper leprechaun footprints and Andes mints. Plus a special shamrock pillowcase for Stellan.
    What can I say - I'm a believer. As long as people keep sending chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No celebration here. And do your kids actually eat that corned beef?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband made us all a Sunday dinner of Corned Beef and Cabbage. I don't know why I felt the need to capitalize it, but it was very tasty. I loved it, until I looked up the calories. Then things got ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, Fleming is Irish? I always wanna spell it with two m's.
    St. Paddy's, as it's spelled this side of the Atlantic, is celebrated everywhere there is one single Irish soul. Bless. Gotta love that :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios