Thursday, March 5, 2009

Midwest

I will most likely be working with three schools in Indiana and one school in NY. Oh and a school outside of Chicago.

I need to buy a winter coat like the awesome one I borrowed from Jeannie.

If I moved to the midwest, then I would have to live there. Look at the picture on this blog--how important, really, is weather to one?

Have people handled the winter well? I thought Utah was cold but apparently, it is only national average so I have not actually experienced a real winter.

Upside:
  • I love scarves.
  • I like small town America--makes me think of Little Pink Houses and Authority songs.
  • I like people who live in this segment of America--seem very family-oriented and caring for their neighbors. Also potential of meeting Dwight Shrute-types.
  • 33% cheaper

Downside:
  • Everything else. I am especially worried about :
    • Eating-- I am kind of a food snob as many of you know, in that I love to be able to buy fairly fresh fruits and stuff that doesn't contain white flour. Will this be possible in the midwest? Am I stereo-typing the hunter and underestimating the gatherer?
    • Cold weather times infinity
I will be spending 40-60 days in these places in the upcoming year so regardless of living there or not, it will be happening.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, wait, you love scarves? K. Then you'll be fine.

    I will tell you that I have loved living in many different areas of the country. I can now give my opinion on certain things (i.e. this post) and have some clout cuz I've lived it, yo. How boring to say that, aside from your stint away at college and a mission, you've always lived within a few hours of your birthplace. You need to get out & experience some other things, me thinks. Your kids too. And that 33% isn't hurting either.

    It is cold, but last I checked, nobody ever dies from cold. Except those people who climb Everest and stuff but they're just asking for it.

    Indiana was cold. But that's not what I remember about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at meeting Dwight Schrute types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in moving. It has it's inconveniences, but always expands your experience. Are you really really serious about moving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a native Midwesterner, I love this! Scarves?! Then by all means, make the move!! And yes...there are plenty of Dwight Schrutes. One sits in the cube next to me. He comes from the land of corn. Depending on where you live, food most likely wouldn't be an issue. Seems like every cityand small town has a farmer's market. So you should come join us simple folk! You'll forget about the cold in no time. (Of course you'll forget about the cold because you'll be thinking about the 100 degree, 98% humidity but I digress.....)
    -Again, this is Melissa...former green mint roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate cold, REALLY hate gloom, but I would love to briefly experience living in the midwest. Briefly. I always assumed that the same food is available all across America. No? What the...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm assuming I am one of those very boring people. And I didn't even serve a mish. I'm saving up my "living in different places" for later in life. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ::looking around and giggling nervously:: Uh, no, Memz... I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna rebel against the crowd and vote "Stay". Why do you want to move??? Is there an actual reason or are you just thinking it would be good for a change and cheaper? Don't forget, moving isn't free. Plus, it's a LOT of work. It also takes adjusting for the entire family, making new friends, finding your new drs, grocery stores, dentists, etc etc. And since I've done it 7 times since being married (and lived in 4 totally different states: UT, NJ, MA, and TX), I think that earns me some clout. If there's a good opportunity, move for the opportunity. Not for the cheap factor or the adventure of living in a cold area. Although it is always fun to meet Dwights In Real Life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and btw I was born in Indiana. My family lived there for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the coat worked out for you. You should take her out in sub zero weather... she holds her own.

    Where in the Midwest would you actually considering living? If it's a Chicago suburb, you wouldn't have to worry about food there at all. They even have Trader Joe's.

    We LOVED it there!! And we were on the south side of Chicago. I would move there again in a heartbeat if our families weren't so far away. You get used to the cold. It's all about the layering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read your blog forever and this made me laugh since it's my reality. Chicago is the exception and it's expensive to live there, but you get everything a coast has to offer except the weather...good food, culture etc... I live in one of those small towns and would move in a heartbeat. Food yes food...I miss terribly. Culture, skinny people, warm weather for more than 3 months a year, etc.. people think I exagerate here, but being a few hours north of other midwest places it is much worse. Enjoy Cali and buy a warm coat for your visits. When we decided to move here my wardrobe required a northface 700 fill coat. I've worn it everyday since october. Then I find out there is a 900fill. Best purchase ever made. Oh and the farmers markets are very cute from the months of June through mid-september.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios