1. Ingratiate yourself with the administration. Do some service for the school or donate something but make sure that they know that you care about the school. If you don't have time for these things, just periodically drop an email expressing appreciation or say something nice (that you mean) about the school.
2. Talk to other parents about what their vision is for the school. Don't complain, just ask questions and listen carefully. Not just any parents, ones that are worker bee types and actually have ideas (lame complaints like "the school won't let me bring treats for parties" don't count). You can then say "I have heard parents are concerned about..." without sounding like something is your idea.
3. Befriend the custodial staff--or anyone else of the classified that have master keys. Cafeteria ladies count even if they are weird or psychotic. Actually, especially if they are weird or psychotic.
4. Remember Secretary's Day and drop off a card or flowers in the office on this occasion. If you miss it, just drop it off on a random day and let them know that you are aware that without them the school would fall apart.
5. Drop off a Jamba Juice, Vanilla Bean Frappuccino (no coffee for those who have not had this heavenly treat) or a Cliff Bar/Luna Bar periodically and a "thanks for all you do for my child!" Homemade treats count but in our case they have a hard time lasting that long to get them wrapped up and delivered.
If you are happy with the school you still ought to do these things but if you want to make change I promise you this is the path to least resistance.
Which one of these things are you going to do next week?
Mmmm...I like the sound of that Vanilla Bean Frappaccino thing. I wouldn't mind getting one for myself as well as the teacher!!
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish more parents were like you when I was working in the schools!
ReplyDeleteAfter I befriend the custodian and get the keys, what do I do? Will I need a mask?
ReplyDeleteWow, I sure feel super guilty. I have just been sitting around drinking my own drink, and never once thought about the secretary. Too bad my kids are on their track break.
ReplyDeleteDo sonic drinks count even if you bought them during happy hour?
Well I'll tell you what I won't do, and that's send my daughter with chocolate in her lunchbox.
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna do #6. Wait it out and do nothing cuz we are moving to a new school district.
ReplyDeleteOh Lee, you really need to try on Texas for size... I actually really enjoy living here save one thing: the schools!!!! They are the freakin' Gestapo and it is very very difficult to get change to happen. Having an education degree turns out to me to my disadvantage here. And I didn't even tell them I worked in a Charter School.
ReplyDeleteI do none of those things. I drop of packs of mildly dirty children clutching crumpled homework that the baby splattered milk on. Then I get in passive aggressive fights when the secreataries call to tell me the kids have pink eye (they didn't!), their immunization are incomplete (they weren't!), or their lunch accounts are overdrawn (okay, that's true).
ReplyDeleteIt always amazes me how much teachers appreciate handwritten notes of encouragement. They are like sponges to water!
ReplyDelete