Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 4 Update

Don't judge me. But I doubt I will go to Church on Mother's Day. I do love going-- It is a fast and efficient way to see a lot of people I love (in my home town) but after today I think I can't hack it alone and I don't like saying to people (who I prefer to have think that I manage my life well) "hey I haven't seen you in a few years, but I can't handle my kids on my own so could you give them the following instructions while I am out in the hallway with my crying babe?"

Instructions:
-you can only leave once to get a drink water
-don't pick your nose
-don't peel the papers off the outside of the crayons
-don't fight with your sister/brother about who sits next to me
-you cannot bring that picture to our neighbor/your primary teacher/the chorister during the prayer
-it is not appropriate to sit on the floor in the foyer during church
-put your skirt down
-you can't play in the primary room during church
-sit up
-don't turn the ringer on my phone so that it will ring during someone's testimony

I think I did a post like this before but this list only includes specifically what I said today.

So as a present to myself I am unlikely to attend OR I will leave the baby at home with my aunt. I don't want to dislike my children or be stressed by them on the one day a year in which I have the expectation that my kids will get along. I know, I should lower those.

Other than the first hour of church being a bit rough (and most of that occurred within the last ten minutes), today was nice. I had a nice morning with the kids and made a pretty good apple scone recipe in which I substituted whole wheat, of course, and reduced milk to 1/4 cup as the first reviewer recommended. Oh also added 1 t cinnamon to the mix. We attended a nice little potluck after church with some neighbors who were only an hour late bringing out the main dish for the event, and I got to hang out with my favorite freighbor (pronounced fray-bor, a variation of frousin and it refers to a friend/neighbor) for a nice long chat interrupted only every 20 seconds or so by one of my children.

This evening Casey cried because he misses his daddy. I said "you never cry when I am gone" and my three oldest kids said "we are used to you leaving." I am glad for Steve that they don't cry but I hope I die first because it was brutal. I told them to wake up early and write him an email.

Evening wrapped up with a nice review on the Smart Remarks Book Club and me getting five pounds of spinach and grape tomatoes plus a bowl full of lemons from freighbor Katie.

So even though I have a nice long evening to catch up on Facebook and read my book, I really feel like Sunday is the one day that man should not be alone. Or his wife anyway.

13 comments:

  1. I stood up to bear my testimony today simply so I could get away from my fighting kids for a moment. Will that count against me on judgment day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awsome honey. I have a really hard time in church when you're gone and it made me feel a little incompotent (which I'm used to).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ( ^ cute ^ )

    I'm sorry I called your iphone during sacrament meeting. I didn't realize the kids had turned the ringer on. But when you don't save me the bench behind you, how are we supposed to discuss things??

    ReplyDelete
  4. ( ^ cute ^ ) referred to Steve's comment, and not the term freighbor.

    5 pounds of spinach and I'm still just a freighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "freighbor" is aweseome! I totally agree that Sunday is the worst day ever when your spouse is gone. So despressing and lonely. Hang in there Flem. Rest assured knowing you will get to have me take you to CEC on Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm, I've been doing Sundays by myself for 7 years now. Sorry, but you gize are sissies to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear....

    Chellese--awesome strategy! Will try next month.

    Steve--come home.

    Freighbor--the title implies the intimacy of friend with regularity of neighbor. Neither title is enough so to me it meaneth more than you.

    Memzy-CEC is of the debbil.

    Hot Pants-Agreed. I am a wimp, a one-trick pony if you will. Please share your strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do every other Sat/Sun by myself, and it sucks. It's not that the kids are bad at church, but there is something depressing about going by yourself and then going home to an empty house. Part of it is that most families are together on Sat/Sun. It's a weird lonely feeling. I just try not to think about it. We have a perfect schedule other than that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing how many of us go to church solo and still feel like it is only us. WE need to form a row of benchs for kids with one parent so we can trade off. Medea sits by herself while I take Athea out far too often.
    Lee, I realized yesterday that I often complain about my one bed apt, but have the same number of people per room as many of you four kidders. Thanks for the reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You that handle 2+ kids on your own on Sundays are amazing. I've only ever had to do one kid solo and it's just about killed me off. Keep Meg with your aunt on Mom's Day and go with the other kiddos so that you can hear them sing in Sacrament meeting. You gotta love that part!

    P.S. LOVED your answers to my whining rant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My advice? Sit next to Sis. Price. She already knows all the dirt about our family, so you don't need to impress her. And she has wrestled with 4 kiddos herself and knows all the good holds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, I'm surprised and a bit amused that the ever-competent Lee is so uptight about going sans spouse--though it sounds like this is a looong one. I always sit by myself w the kids now--except my spouse is up on the stand watching our shenanigans with a disapproving look on his face. I love it! My new strategy is to let Jesse wander to whichever friendly family will take him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is my officail excuse for the Sundays I miss, but mothers day? That's a flower you're missing out on.

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios