I am trying to summarize what is broken about the current ed system to help my fellow Americans since I have such a hard time articulating it.
I am going to try reeeeallly hard to avoid jargon so here goes...
Students are not trained to think creatively or solve problems. They are trained to follow instructions and are evaluated on their ability to retain information. Why is than an issue? Well... the factory jobs are gonzo so kids actually need to have thinking skills, not just follow direction skills.
We live in an information age. Certain knowledge does not need to be retained because it is available at your fingertips.
Last night no one knew what year Lionel Ritchie sang All Night Long, what Karamu was, or if it was about Spanish holidays. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago memorizing such facts would have been essential for viewing pleasure, but now 3/4s of the group could simply pick up a phone. If you look at a test in a classroom which question do you think is most likely to be asked of students:
Q1: What is karamu?
a) a word with a combination of pleasing sounds for the ear, commonly used on the Delilah Show
b) Lionel Ritchie's poodle
c) An African holiday
d) A word that the recording studio was trying to make happen
Q2: What does the line "fiesta, forever?" refer to?
a) Come on and sing my song
b) Karamu
c) The Spanish equivalent of "All Night Long"
d) The Santa Barbara fiesta court
Q3: What are the implications of Lionel Ritchie's line "Karamu. Fiesta, forever"?
a) No one has heard of Karamu, confusing the listener and taking away from the musicality of the song
b) Mixing a Spanish word with an African holiday reflects cultural insensitivity therefore rendering the song inappropriate for Africans and Spanish-speakers alike
c) Lionel gets a higher "ethnic" quotient even though he grew up detached from African culture in Illinois where he majored in Econ and played on the tennis team.
d) Because the song was so long ago, people watching American Idol will largely tune out the song and assume "Karamu" is an old word for cool and therefore there are no major implications of the line for Lionel or AI
Let me clarify that most good teachers ask a combination of these items--the bigger point is the kind of thinking the teachers are regularly developing in the classroom. Are they mainly asking kids what Karamu is? Are they quizzing kids on it? Or are they delving deeper and asking them to solve problems? Would your child's teacher even KNOW the implications of using Karamu on the AI stage?
Everytime your child comes home from school you should ask them a follow up question: What does that MEAN?
Somewhat Fictional Example:
Kid: Mom! Today this lady brought in a walking stick and she had to have a permit to carry it because they are considered a threat to an ecosystem!
Mom: Aws. What does that MEAN? Why did she come in?
Kid: To talk about how certain species can affect a local economy.
Riiight. The real answer might be "Oh she was just showing us different cool animals and insects."
You can try to say to me "but she is only in second grade!!!"
This girl understands economy. She understands that if she walks in the house and tracks mud in, I have to spend more money on the carpet cleaner and she gets cheaper shoes.
Luckily my kids have teachers who develop this kind of thinking. But for many, they just want kids to check out cool animals and talk about creatures and their magical qualities.
Rethink the system people, ask your kids why. If they don't know, then ask the teacher. If the teacher doesn't know, ask the principal why they are wasting your tax dollars telling your kids something they could learn on youtube in ten seconds.
Yes, times have been achangin' for years now. Why did we have to learn math at all? We just needed to learn calculators. Why did we learn spelling? We just needed to learn Spellcheck. My oldest son's 2nd grade teacher told me not to worry about his poor spelling, on account of Spellcheck. She really gets it.
ReplyDeleteNowadays, kids should just learn Internet, especially Google. Everything else should be about exercising their kreatif thinking minds. Besides, soon we will all have the Internet implanted inside ourselves, and the only thing that will differentiate us will be our individual kreatifity. Those crafty scrapbookers will be at the top of the food chain.
^^ that is not mockery, so we're clear. I believe that wholeheartedly. Spellcheck corrected two of my words. Guess which ones. Make that three.
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU for validating me. You are the smartest person I know so I'm really glad that is what you think, although I wish that you had been at my book club two days ago when we were discussing (not the book of course, why would we do that?) schools. Everyone was disappointed with the public schools their kids go to and they gave numerous convincing examples as to why it was inadequate. Then the subject turned to homeschooling, and that was a big can of worms. They could not fathom how any parent would commit such a terrible crime as to homeschool their children because then what about the quality (because they are so satisfied with what their kids are currently getting?) and they cited as their sole evidence the 14 year old homeschooled girl in our ward who doesn't know who Winston Churchill is. I was the only one who was not shocked and horrified by her ignorance inflicted on her by homeschooling, but I of course didn't say much because I'm a wimp when I'm alone in my convictions. That is why I needed you there, companera. I don't think it is okay to be ignorant about important historical figures, but I'm sure it will take her ten seconds to learn it from wikipedia and then she can get back to playing the harp, which she can do like nobody's business, and which is not offered as an elective in public schools. Harp isn't necessarily creative thinking, but I would gladly trade in my knowledge of who Winston Churchill is for some harp skills.
ReplyDeleteJoseph's homework always has a mini book report every week, and one question is always ?Que cambiarias de este cuento? And he ALWAYS writes Nada, me gusto todo. And I ALWAYS tell him he can't write nada he has to think of something. And he ALWAYS argues with me for ten minutes about it. And then he ALWAYS comes up with a creative answer. Wish I could figure out how to skip the arguement step.
So, oh wise one, I have two questions for you. First of all, what is the best way to know what is going on at school, if they are developing thinking skills? I try to get in tight with the teacher, but I feel like she only tells me what she thinks I want to hear. Joseph won't tell me squat. I go to the classroom as much as possible but they don't allow younger sibling tagalongs and I got a couple of those. I feel like I have somewhat of a picture of what goes on, but I don't know how to get more.
Second, a parent just sent an email about API scores. I don't care much about test scores for exactly the reasons you say, but something interesting I noticed was that the 30% of white kids are getting significantly higher scores than the 70% of hispanics. By like 150 points. (I don't even know which category my own kid is in though.) So what does that discrepancy mean? If I agree with you that creative thinking is the most important education, should I care about test scores at all? Or are they a measurement of something important even if not creativity?
I gotta go lay down and take a deep breath. Be back later.
ReplyDeleteYes. But if we're drawing on an Idol finale example, I kind of wish you would have gone with
ReplyDeleteQ1: Was Bikini Girl augmented?
implications, etc.
PS URSMRT
This post is headache-making.
ReplyDeleteFlemmy-wa!!!!!!!
I've gone tharn..... bbl.
PS I don't know the answers to any of your questions.... I didn't even know the word "karamu" was in that song.
ReplyDeleteI do know the answer to Katie's question tho....
LeeAnn, do you want to adopt two more kids?
ReplyDeleteJust kinda finishing my thought . . . I'm failing as a parent. Why were these poor kids sent to me? Who will look after their educational needs when I am too lazy to even get them registered for school. UGH.
ReplyDeleteHi Flem:
ReplyDeleteAgree! Agree! Agree! I'll agree all night long.
I love your final multiple choice question.
Why no multiple choice questions on Kara schooling Bikini Girl and what that implication about post-third wave feminism in a post millennial world?
Ack!
ReplyDeleteThat should read: What that implies about blah blah blah?
I hate test scores for teaching kids that there is one right answer or ALWAYS one better answer. Totally untrue.
A) Didn't know Karamu was a word
ReplyDeleteB) Didn't know Karamu was in that song
C) Still don't know what Karamu means
D) Still won't look Karamu up
Answer: All of the above.
Going tharn now.
Brilliant. Did you ever see this video: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
ReplyDelete(The TED conference seems pretty coolio.)
Too bad many educators have probably never thought about what you've so wisely pointed out...
This is great! I always thought my kids were missing the challenge.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure I would be as successful in the class you are describing. I am really good at tests and the answers they are looking for, but not much else. I am constantly being told that I lack common sense. Now I know who to blame.
The only way we will every see that kind of change in our schools is by getting government out of the school business.
ReplyDelete