Recently I have discovered that my cerebral operating system has limited space. This was always a known issue, but it has come to a peak lately.
Someone shared an article (via twitter you haters who haven't learned the value yet) regarding the need for digital natives to meditate. I didn't actually read the article because I am so constantly multitasking that I just read summaries and then pass on info to people.
Recent studies have determined that people who multitask do each task less efficiently. It is like they know me.
Forgive the analogy for the non-tech types, but I just realized that the Operating System analogy is very powerful. How is my brain like an operating system?
1. It begins to run less and less efficiently when certain programs are running in the background. Programs like listening to my children fight, or having to work on my expense reports which keeeel me.
2. I always, I mean always, have 2-3 programs going. I often have a song in my head (or maybe I am singing it) and I maintain simultaneous thoughts and repeat conversations in my head.
3. If my brain has been engaged for a long time, it begins to be overwhelmed and I need to shut down. My friends in college used to accuse me of randomly picking up the phone and calling someone mid-conversation. Controlling those impulses is key for me because I still have this habit. Someone asks a question and I immediately pick up my phone, only now I use texting or a browser to solve my issues instead of actually calling someone.
I have recently discovered, sadly, that I can't seem to concentrate very well when I am having conversations with people one-on-one. I can't complete a thought coherently, I am not engaged in many conversations, etc.
My solution to this:
1. NO screen time for set periods of the day. No phone, no computer, no nothing.
2. MUST workout. I am trying to go religiously three times a week. The other days if I can go on a walk, even better. I seem to be able to concentrate on conversations better during that time too so if you want to talk to me about something you should definitely go on a walk with me.
3. When I get in the car, I can't turn on the radio or play with my phone for at least part of the drive. I should be using this time to converse with whomever is actually IN the car.
4. I need to create a "to do" list. Instead of doing five things partway, I need to set two simple things I am going to complete each day. This means I need to actually create said list. I am looking for an app for that btw.
5. Meditation. I haven't done this effectively yet, but I plan on at the very least, trying to pray more often and focus my brain in that way. Maybe that is part of the reason why we ought to do so.
6. Getting enough sleep. Megs still thinks it is okay to get up in the middle of the night and I am often at diminished capacity. I have no resolution for this right now but hopefully it will get better soon.
What other strategies do people have for brain restart, or at least hibernation?
I have a great idea. Sit on the beach in a chair and watch your kids play. Don't bring your phone. I did this last week. Works wonders.
ReplyDeleteBut you could always just hit CTRL+ALT+DLT
I absolutely agree with Memzy-- great idea. Alright, when can we go for a walk together?
ReplyDeleteThe folks on Dating in the Dark go an entire WEEK without any visual stimuli. This explains why they're all so wise.
ReplyDeleteI told you tons of deep dark secrets when you were here knowing you weren't really listening. It felt good to get it off my chest & you don't remember a thing. Win-win.
ReplyDeleteI do like your solutions. If I suffered from your same type of ADD I'd look into doing some of those same things. As it is, my brain is only capable of running one program at a time.
i don't have anything to add except that i approve of this blog post title.
ReplyDeleteIf you figure out meditation, tell me the trick. I struggle with that one.
ReplyDeleteRunning helps me even if I have music in the background.
I like the non-screen time. I'm going to try it so that I can read my teen fiction.
Good luck in your quest and thank you for putting Bowie in my head.
It is nearly impossible for me to do only one thing. It's in my woman DNA. But exercise and sleep makes everything in my day fall right into place. Why is it so hard to do? And why is dating in the dark such an awesome ground-breaking show?
ReplyDeleteI can't help you with this one, I'm a certified monotasker. I freeze up when someone interrupts me when I'm busy, and then it takes forever to reboot.
ReplyDeleteTake vitamins.
ReplyDelete