Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kinder debrief

I was worried about dropping off little Gillian. For some reason I just knew it was going to be harder. Who can explain the workings of the human brain, why one child will storm the castle with confidence, one will follow all the orders of the regime, and one will cry the first time another soldier takes her seat.

And not in that order.

You would think that once you hit that third child, with two older siblings already in the same school in a building where she has been coming almost daily for three years that it would be easy. The teachers knew her name, almost half the children in her class are recognizable faces as siblings of other known families in the school.

It wasn't. I still have a baby left in the house who is plenty cute and plenty baby but I still felt very weepy leaving this daughter of mine at the school.

Auntie Lissa is visiting and she made a particular effort for the kids with these cute cookies that she made and decorated:




















School lunches are still the bane of my existence, btw, so if anyone has any tips or suggestions on what to bring please leave ideas in the comments section por favor.

Here we are in the morning before school:


























^^^ The cool sibs.

And Gillian:


























We dropped her off in her class and stayed until she whispered "you can go now" which was right after class started.


























It was so familiar with the uniforms and the other kids all speaking Spanish, I thought it would be okay after all.

Unforunately, when I went to pick her up she just looked somber. She said it was okay until lunch. The lunch ladies both told me that she was sad because I didn't send her with a water bottle and since she was so thirsty because it was soooo hot (80 degrees people) that when she got up to get a drink her spot was stolen. Apparently this was an unarticulated expectation, like many other things in the life of my school experience.

I went and bought three water bottles today and I hope my children forgive me for all the things I am doing to mess them up.

Here is to day number two. Oh and back to the lunch issue, in case you (landee) think that I am providing them with some weirdo junk, here are today's lunch contents:

Kudos bar
Peach
Homemade rolls with cheese and ham baked inside (only HALF whole wheat tyvm)
Water bottle

Doesn't that sound yummy? I will predict they come home with complaints about it. Please, please let little Gills have a good day today.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for writing out the lunch menu.... I was srsly worried for those kiddies. Cuz you know everyone else there gets to eat beans & rice & tortillas.

    HOW DARE some little brat take my Gillian's seat!!! I need names & I'll be on the next flight to knock some heads.::ripping off regular clothes to reveal superhero outfit underneath::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send a lunch to the preschool with my son so I too am always looking for ideas. I happened to catch a good segment on school lunches on the Today show. They had some good ideas. I may try the babaganoush since he loves hummus. I'll have to give it a trial run at home first!

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32541567/ns/today-parenting_and_family/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just throw in a luncheable and be done with it is what I say. It's very true what you say about each kid being so individual about the whole thing. My 6th grader was a nervous ned and my Kindergartner couldn't get me to leave soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked ALL the lunches you made me. If they don't like them I'll eat them.

    My kids bring their lunch home most days. I have NO idea how they survive six hours with nothing to eat. One day last week Joseph came home with his lunch AND someone else's. He said she didn't need it so she gave it to him. I don't even want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor lil Gills! Did she tap tap her seat so no could take it? How do you say tap tap in espanol? Lucky for me, my kids's schools have delish school lunch, so we only pack lunch a few times a week. Just the usual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a totally delish lunch. I think you've let your kids' expectations get WAY too high. :)

    Our kids get 3 things in their lunch:

    1. pb&j
    2. a fruit or veggie; usually an apple or carrot
    3. a snack; cookies if they're around, popcorn in a pinch.

    That's it. Forever. And it's the same lunch I took to school for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't matter how many kids, I'm realizing, each phase is a different experience for each kid. So touching. good luck with the lunch situation. Let me know if you find some great ideas so I can be prepared!

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios