I want to be snarky. I do. I want to point out the capitalization error and the fact that I think they meant healthful instead of healthy. I mean, the foods don't get their health checked and declared "HEALTHY!" by a doctor.
I don't know why this fires me up so much, but it does. I don't like the use of fear and guilt as a parental motivator.
I think what irritates me the most is the smiley face. That snide little smug emoticon revealing the school's sense of superiority.
I'd send M&Ms with my kid just because they implied that I shouldn't.
Ignorance = lack of knowledge, unawareness. So glad that your kids are not at risk for diabetes or childhood obesity like most of the hispanic kids at Cesar Chavez and all over the country. The number of overweight kids between the ages of 6 to 19 has tripled since 1970, but so glad to hear that YOUR kids are not part of this problem! The "Poliza" scares you and makes you feel guilty? WOW!!!!!! It really worked. Maybe it will make parents think twice when buying the junk food. And just to clear things up......foods don't go to a doctor to be declared healthy, they go to a Nutritionist ...duh ☺ ☺ ☺
Anonymous comment = when one can't resist the urge to judge others in a condescending and sarcastic manner, but lacks the courage to do so publicly, because they are embarrassed by their own arrogant and rude tone.
I'm still confused about something... do foods really go to a nutritionist to be declared healthy? Why do they care if they're healthy? Eventually, they're going to die a slow agonizing death when humans consume them so what's it to them? Yeah, I don't know if I believe you about that one, Anon. I'm not that ignorant.
I homeschool, so healthy snacks aren't a problem. And I don't recall her previous elementary school getting in your face about it, either.
I think that I'm tired of the school districts/cities/government of any kind dictating what I can do. I have no problem with educating parents and making suggestions, but lunch police is over the top.
I homeschool, so healthy snacks aren't a problem. And I don't recall her previous elementary school getting in your face about it, either.
I think that I'm tired of the school districts/cities/government of any kind dictating what I can do. I have no problem with educating parents and making suggestions, but lunch police is over the top.
Pretty sure anonymous was addressing me. I used the word healthful and guilt in my second comment.
I still stand by my earlier criticism.
Healthful is the correct adjective no matter which speciality is involved.
Don't worry about my thinking twice when buying junk food. You don't know me. At all. That is clear. You don't know my opinions on food.
To me, this is a bigger issue. I'm all about education. That policy does not educate in the least. A flyer does not equal education. What nutrients do growing children need? Does the flyer touch on that?
This is about the state inferring into my family's private choices. This is about government deciding that I can't be trusted.
I get to decide as the parent of my child what I would like him to eat as a snack. Just because the obesity rate has skyrocketed does not mean that my child is at risk. He isn't at risk. We make informed choices. I read. I get it. I get to make informed choices for my family.
How dare a school sneer at yogurt that is not low-fat? Would our love of avocados be criticized by a lunch lady? Avocados may be fatty, but they are nutritionally sound. Don't even get me started on the anti-chocolate milk people. Read the research!
I love how bagels are considered healthy! And breadsticks!
I'd send a whole pineapple in protest if we didn't actually include pineapple so often in our diet.
For the record: I am against holiday parties and the cupcakes and cookies and what not! I hate them. But I let it go. I create the food culture in our home. The school parties are a minor blip on the radar.
I just want to reiterate something I said earlier…..Ignorance = lack of knowledge, unawareness. Actually let that sink in for a minute and you will realize how PROFOUND my words are. Studies show that defining a common everyday word to an audience of adults will have a PROFOUND impact on 6 to 19 percent of them. It worked for the Führer, and I believe it worked for me here on your blog.
My passion in life is to eradicate childhood obesity. Eradicate = to remove or destroy utterly. Here’s my plan, which I have entitled The Final Solution (and I will eventually have this on fliers to be displayed around elementary schools all over the country, starting at Cesar Chavez). So, first step is to round up all the kids that are at risk for diabetes or childhood obesity, especially the Hispanic kids at Cesar Chavez and all over the rest of the country, and we CONCENTRATE all those kids into a sort of camp, which will be surrounded by barbed wire and guarded by the Poliza. We will feed them only foods that have been declared healthy by a nutritionist, such as nuts and seeds and low fat yogurt, and have several sauna chambers (we’ll tell them it’s simply a shower to get them in there and then we’ll lock the doors and turn on the steam, brilliant, no?). And so we can cater to the individual defects of the fat children, they will go through a sorting process as they enter the camp, and be given a symbol to wear on their striped pajamas. (ie. a red heart for the kids who are at risk for diabetes, a cupcake for the obese, and something “Hispanic” for the Hispanic kids).
I really think my plan will make parents think twice before buying junk food and we can finally get the number of overweight kids between the ages of 6 to 19 back to how it was in the good old 1970s. ☺ ☺ ☺
The hilarious thing to me about this notice is that nutritionists seldom agree from year to year (or even within years) what is healthy and what is not. Really, what you should be eating is more dependent on your issues. Because actually, if your children are high-risk for diabetes, they should NOT have low-fat products since those products are usually higher in sugar and carb content to compensate for the lack of fat.
Sure, I want kids to be healthy, and while my daughter laments almost daily at her boring "healthy" snacks that contrast with her classmates' Ho Hos, I am glad that the parents are the ones who are making the choices.
Really?
ReplyDeleteWhat if the yogurt wasn't low-fat? Cuz it looks like that's the only kind you're allowed to send.
ReplyDeleteI want to be snarky. I do. I want to point out the capitalization error and the fact that I think they meant healthful instead of healthy. I mean, the foods don't get their health checked and declared "HEALTHY!" by a doctor.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why this fires me up so much, but it does. I don't like the use of fear and guilt as a parental motivator.
I think what irritates me the most is the smiley face. That snide little smug emoticon revealing the school's sense of superiority.
I'd send M&Ms with my kid just because they implied that I shouldn't.
low fat yogurt and milk? shouldn't kids be able to enjoy life?
ReplyDeleteCacao is included in fruits and vegetables, right? It says "any kind".
ReplyDeleteI would literally send my kids to school with Reese's Peanut Butter cups if I got something like this.
ReplyDeleteYou can't be arrested for dealing candy to children can you? Quick... where can I find a trench coat?
ReplyDeleteAnd what do they serve in the cafeteria? Hmmm? That's what I thought.
ReplyDeleteso who's checking their lunches? you have cafeteria police? I have never seen anything like it. Someone had too much time on their hands.
ReplyDeleteMmmm. Seeds!
ReplyDeleteIgnorance = lack of knowledge, unawareness. So glad that your kids are not at risk for diabetes or childhood obesity like most of the hispanic kids at Cesar Chavez and all over the country. The number of overweight kids between the ages of 6 to 19 has tripled since 1970, but so glad to hear that YOUR kids are not part of this problem! The "Poliza" scares you and makes you feel guilty? WOW!!!!!! It really worked. Maybe it will make parents think twice when buying the junk food. And just to clear things up......foods don't go to a doctor to be declared healthy, they go to a Nutritionist ...duh ☺ ☺ ☺
ReplyDeleteAnonymous comment = when one can't resist the urge to judge others in a condescending and sarcastic manner, but lacks the courage to do so publicly, because they are embarrassed by their own arrogant and rude tone.
ReplyDeleteI'm still confused about something... do foods really go to a nutritionist to be declared healthy? Why do they care if they're healthy? Eventually, they're going to die a slow agonizing death when humans consume them so what's it to them? Yeah, I don't know if I believe you about that one, Anon. I'm not that ignorant.
I"m with Jespy!
ReplyDeleteI homeschool, so healthy snacks aren't a problem. And I don't recall her previous elementary school getting in your face about it, either.
I think that I'm tired of the school districts/cities/government of any kind dictating what I can do. I have no problem with educating parents and making suggestions, but lunch police is over the top.
I"m with Jespy!
ReplyDeleteI homeschool, so healthy snacks aren't a problem. And I don't recall her previous elementary school getting in your face about it, either.
I think that I'm tired of the school districts/cities/government of any kind dictating what I can do. I have no problem with educating parents and making suggestions, but lunch police is over the top.
Pretty sure anonymous was addressing me. I used the word healthful and guilt in my second comment.
ReplyDeleteI still stand by my earlier criticism.
Healthful is the correct adjective no matter which speciality is involved.
Don't worry about my thinking twice when buying junk food. You don't know me. At all. That is clear. You don't know my opinions on food.
To me, this is a bigger issue. I'm all about education. That policy does not educate in the least. A flyer does not equal education. What nutrients do growing children need? Does the flyer touch on that?
This is about the state inferring into my family's private choices. This is about government deciding that I can't be trusted.
I get to decide as the parent of my child what I would like him to eat as a snack. Just because the obesity rate has skyrocketed does not mean that my child is at risk. He isn't at risk. We make informed choices. I read. I get it. I get to make informed choices for my family.
How dare a school sneer at yogurt that is not low-fat? Would our love of avocados be criticized by a lunch lady? Avocados may be fatty, but they are nutritionally sound. Don't even get me started on the anti-chocolate milk people. Read the research!
I love how bagels are considered healthy! And breadsticks!
I'd send a whole pineapple in protest if we didn't actually include pineapple so often in our diet.
For the record: I am against holiday parties and the cupcakes and cookies and what not! I hate them. But I let it go. I create the food culture in our home. The school parties are a minor blip on the radar.
...Desperate Housewives gone NUTS!☺☺☺☺☺
ReplyDeleteI just want to reiterate something I said earlier…..Ignorance = lack of knowledge, unawareness. Actually let that sink in for a minute and you will realize how PROFOUND my words are. Studies show that defining a common everyday word to an audience of adults will have a PROFOUND impact on 6 to 19 percent of them. It worked for the Führer, and I believe it worked for me here on your blog.
ReplyDeleteMy passion in life is to eradicate childhood obesity. Eradicate = to remove or destroy utterly. Here’s my plan, which I have entitled The Final Solution (and I will eventually have this on fliers to be displayed around elementary schools all over the country, starting at Cesar Chavez). So, first step is to round up all the kids that are at risk for diabetes or childhood obesity, especially the Hispanic kids at Cesar Chavez and all over the rest of the country, and we CONCENTRATE all those kids into a sort of camp, which will be surrounded by barbed wire and guarded by the Poliza. We will feed them only foods that have been declared healthy by a nutritionist, such as nuts and seeds and low fat yogurt, and have several sauna chambers (we’ll tell them it’s simply a shower to get them in there and then we’ll lock the doors and turn on the steam, brilliant, no?). And so we can cater to the individual defects of the fat children, they will go through a sorting process as they enter the camp, and be given a symbol to wear on their striped pajamas. (ie. a red heart for the kids who are at risk for diabetes, a cupcake for the obese, and something “Hispanic” for the Hispanic kids).
I really think my plan will make parents think twice before buying junk food and we can finally get the number of overweight kids between the ages of 6 to 19 back to how it was in the good old 1970s. ☺ ☺ ☺
^^ Adelaide Addison
ReplyDelete(the real "anonymous", not the funny/satirical imposter)
ReplyDeleteThe hilarious thing to me about this notice is that nutritionists seldom agree from year to year (or even within years) what is healthy and what is not. Really, what you should be eating is more dependent on your issues. Because actually, if your children are high-risk for diabetes, they should NOT have low-fat products since those products are usually higher in sugar and carb content to compensate for the lack of fat.
ReplyDeleteSure, I want kids to be healthy, and while my daughter laments almost daily at her boring "healthy" snacks that contrast with her classmates' Ho Hos, I am glad that the parents are the ones who are making the choices.
I think Anon is really Jillian Michaels. I don't know anyone else passionate about childhood obesity.
ReplyDeleteI find it PROFOUND that Anon felt, in her ignorance, we needed the word virtually shouted at us in order to read it.