I sing in choir for personal enrichment. I like feeling like I am contributing and I am also developing a talent that I would like to have. Last year since church was at 9 it was tough for me to get there early for practice on the days we would sing so I vowed this year I would try to be there early since we have late church now. Today I arrange a ride, then get all the kids ready in their church clothes and then finally put Meg down for a nap so my husband can mainly deal with the three older kids and theoretically be able to just walk out the door when it is time to come.
Enter conflict.
My husband walks into the chapel where I am sitting with two of my children, neither of whom is the baby. The following conversation ensues:
Me: Honey, where is Meg?
Him: She is refusing to come in from the car, the two girls were fighting again.
Me: Not Bridget, Meg. Honey, where is MEGHAN?
Him: [Look of shock] I am so sorry... [runs out the door]
I thought he was joking at first but when the look of shock never left his face I knew it was the real McCoy. He left her at home asleep and then drove off to church. I guess the girls fighting in the car was a major distraction.
I know you are now wondering what happened when he got home, was she okay? Did something fall down into her crib and suffocate her? Did the house catch on fire? Was she crying hysterically and now has major abandonment issues? Did something happen to him on the way home to pick her up and now she is there by herself locked in the house crying? Will I ever forgive myself for going to choir if anything happened?
Because that is what was going through my head.
I stepped out of the meeting and called him when I thought he had gotten home and he described her as "somber but not crying." He did mention a single tear that had fallen on her cheek from perhaps what could have been crying over having been abandoned.
Should I be confused?
ReplyDeleteThis is the classic Sunday tale of a big family. My parents did the exact same thing--Mom at early meeting, baby all dressed and in bed for a nap, Dad arrives with everyone minus baby. Mark says his parents left FOR VACATION with him still at home. Once when I was visiting my sister in DC for the weekend, Roscoe called to say that Dad had left him home from church. So I'd say, congrats, you've joined the ranks of overextended Mormon families. :)
ReplyDeleteTHAT IS HILARIOUS! Are you ever going to let him live that down?
ReplyDeletePoor Steve. He must feel pretty bad. Aren't you glad it wasn't you?
ReplyDeleteI spent the entire 3-hour block yesterday holding, bouncing, nursing, burping, hushing...I actually think Steve might be onto something.
ReplyDeleteWish I could have seen that face the moment realization hit.
ReplyDeleteThat was my fear anytime I ever left one of my babies home with my husband. Glad she was ok, minus the single tear.
ReplyDeleteAwww, that's sad. ::single tear:: I would have been freaking out, due to my over-active imagination.
ReplyDeleteThis post is hilarious! Now you have to tell us if you were ROYALLY MAD at him or just surprised!!!!
ReplyDeleteoh wow. good thing you're an experienced parent. I might have stopped breathing until he got there.
ReplyDeleteWe left TBone AT church once and we only have three kids. And I'm thinking this was a good lesson for Steve that will serve him well in the future when something disastrous may have happened?
ReplyDeleteOh my.
ReplyDeleteFirst ever use of the word somber to describe someone NOT old enough to yet pay taxes.
Maybe that's why you looked so somber in the hallway! :) Like mother, like daughter.
ReplyDeletek, when I came here yesterday to read this post there was NO TEXT. Only the 1..2...3... etc as the title. I hope you didn't think me janky or something. And if it makes Steve feel any better my hubby once lost my itty bitty 2 yr old cracker in a 105 degree weather at a very crowded outside event in Bak-O. Uncle Visor was the one who found him. He was delirious and confused. I didn't talk to Shed for 2.4 days.
ReplyDeleteYour scenarios are soo funny Lee...Steve, pobrecito! Glad you are supporting the choir!
ReplyDelete