Hi Principal! Sorry to bother you but I need to know what the policy is with lunch. My kids are getting harassed (by me too!) about what they do and do not eat and it turned into a teensy conflict today. I made the mistake of sending them with some leftover homemade valentine candy today which sparked it. I kind of don't feel that it is the schools responsibility to examine the nutritional content of their lunch but I don't want to contradict a schoolwide policy. So I just wanted to know what is the policy on lunch examination... Is this part of the role of the lunch monitors? If so, what is the goal of said examination?
Sorry to be pesky. You know me.
Lee
If the kids aren't allowed to eat your goodies, I'll be willing to pick up the slack.
ReplyDeleteNo, they didn't! What ever happened to the good old days when school lunch included a rock hard cookie? I loved those things.
ReplyDeleteWhere do you draw the line? Because really, are deep fried burritos and tater tots any better?
I love that you write letters to the Principal.
ReplyDeleteIf they are giving you a hard time about what you give in your kids lunch I am going to LOSE IT!!!! I will officially HATE that school..........with passion.
ReplyDeleteLee,
ReplyDeletePlease accept our apologies.
We respect your assertion that your child's lunch not be inspected, and will henceforth instead perform a noninvasive gluclose urinalysis during recess.
Sincerely,
Principal
I'm so sick of the "healthy snack" policies.
ReplyDeleteOkay. THAT IS RIDICULOUS! BEYOND RIDICULOUS.
ReplyDeleteI may not like the classroom sharing of sweets, but there is NO harm in the child bringing a lunch. You made the lunch. It is your child. Your prerogative.
By the way, my AMAZING letter to the principal was NOT acknowledged!
ReplyDeleteYou didn't even include the fact that you guys made those valentines treat with love in your hearts for each other as a family. That makes a difference. This isn't just some crappy Hershey stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'd consider putting my kids in a school not run by the gestapo.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure the issue had nothing to do with the candy being candy. It was an issue because the candy honors a saint. And we can't have anything that resembles religion in school.
ReplyDeletePerhaps the principal should release a detailed list of definitions, so that there is no confusion. Apparently homemade Valentines candy is "candy" by definition, but what about fruit snacks? Are they defined as fruit?What about gogurts? Are they considered a healthy dose of calcium? Are other foods of similar sugar content also taboo?
ReplyDeleteI just read on another friend's blog that her daughter's favorite treat is dried seaweed. May I suggest that as an alternative?
Why do the fat, hyper kids have to ruin it for us all? ::stomping away::
ReplyDeleteThink of it this way: at least your kids' school has lunch aides. The neighboring schools are asking me to find VOLUNTEER lunch ladies to supervise the kids. I'm pretty sure if I can find one they won't be doing any candy searches. But, if they do, all confiscated candy will be given to me as the volunteer-placer person, right?!?!
ReplyDeleteoh sheesh!
ReplyDeleteour school is the opposite--the school lunches are so fast food that I make the kids pack their own, and they're always pining after some other kid's brownie or lunchables or pizza.
and, lee, you're a giver in every relationship :)
ha ha Katie.