I love to hear what people think about various topics in politico. As someone who was raised in an extremely liberal political environment with hippie parents/step-parents and total absence of religion, I have a lot of sympathy for the left. The left is often accused of being "immoral" by the right and the right doesn't understand how this godless, unmotivated and shifty crowd of criminal illegal-immigrant loving city-dwellers can justify their existence. I find this to be simply untrue--many liberals are religious but private about it. Many liberals are also among the most educated in the nation so the unmotivated bit doesn't seem to apply unless we are classifying higher education as for the unmotivated and lazy? Also most liberals belief in reform, change, and giving a hand to the needy as education can change the cycles of poverty and violence which is why they are more likely to stick with a local school and give it a try to help change the larger system.
As someone who belongs to a church with reportedly high numbers of republicans (Utah is the only state where Clinton came in third) I also am sympathetic to the right. The "liberal media" and Hollywood types accuse the right as being uneducated, greedy, and uncaring about the plight of the poor. This is also untrue. Republicans give a much larger percentage of their time and salary to charitable causes than do Democrats--by some astounding numbers even. The accusation of greedy in that case is untrue and in fact most Republicans are not looking out for "big business" but "small business" owners as the right is very protective of the ideals of the American Dream. This does not make them greedy but hopeful. As for the uncaring about the plight of the poor, they are really much more involved in trying to create laws to protect the poor according to their own ideals.
Both parties have some ugly pundits--Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter--who are funny, but irreverently unkind. The right have Bill Maher and Jon Stewart who both have great comedic timing but say some pretty offensive things as well.
Both parties have some heroes in history and currently who do amazing things for mankind and are trying to change the world in their own way.
I want to coexist peacefully so in the blogosphere I tend to keep a low profile. I like to summarize my political views by sharing a conversation a group of students had about me a few years ago:
Student 1: "Come on Ms. Fleming, who are you going to vote for?"
Flem: "I do not share my political views as I want you to develop your own ideas about politics without my influence."
Student 2: "But just tell us--we won't tell anyone."
Flem: Silence
Student 1: "She is a democrat. All teachers are."
Student 2: "But she is a Mormon! All Mormons are republicans."
Student 3: "Ahhh! What are you?"
Flem: Silence
If you can't tell, I won't tell.
I haven't known you very long, but my impressions of you so far are that you are very smart, funny, talented, compassionate, charitable, hard working, a great mom, a great citizen.... and definitely a Democrat.
ReplyDeleteUh oh. Was the Fairness Doctrine reinstated during my Sunday nap?
ReplyDeletegreat post, and I am glad you have a fair and accurate opinion of both sides. You are smart to keep a low profile, that's not something I am good at and I feel that it only draws contention...I just can't help it
ReplyDeleteI know. Should I "out" you here then?
ReplyDeleteBut that's why I love you.
ReplyDelete^cryptic
I bet your bi. Swing both ways.
ReplyDeleteSo, have you read Who Really Cares by Arthur Brooks? I haven't, just heard about it on 20/20 or some show like that. It talks about how and why Conservatives are the generous givers, not liberals, but the interesting thing about it was that Brooks, who's an independent, said that he wrote the book not to pat the Righies on the back, but to try to spur those Lefties into taking action. Funny, cuz they think they do.
Seems to me that liberals are more right, more moral, more funny, and less fat. :)
ReplyDeleteI had a middle school teacher who bet that we couldn't guess which party he was. We were all sure of the answer, which turned out to be wrong--we concluded it was because he was overcompensating by speaking dismissively of his party.
Have you ever met a non-member who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't swear, has a sweet family, believes in God; and you think to yourself... this person would make a great Mormon, if only they knew the truth. Well....
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do consider myself part of one of the two parties, I definitely do not agree whole-heartedly with everything (and everyone) they represent. And although I'm pretty sure it is obvious which one I'm in, I don't like admitting it because I don't like being lumped in with all of them. And that is exactly why I like hearing what YOU have to say about politics, because you give each side a fair shake and can recognize that neither side is completely right nor completely wrong and you can thoughtfully come to your own conclusions. I have a handful of friends who I like talking politics with because it is an informed, intelligent conversation, and interestingly enough, all of them belong to the other party. Hopefully that is just an odd coincidence...
ReplyDeleteK, question for you, cuz you're the pro when it comes to school reform. First, you will be pleased to know that for about 5 years, I volunteered to work at my kids' school on Fridays. ::shining my halo:: Someone in the office staff told us that at least 90% of parents who volunteer are religious conservatives (specifically LDS and catholic, so I am assuming most are conservative). This, despite the fact that our school is NOT 90% LDS and catholic, not even close. It's great that liberals believe in changing education, but what are they doing? Where are they? Is my school the exception to the rule? Maybe liberals are just the loud ones, who talk about change, maybe attend a few meetings, and then sit around and wait to be acted upon by the gov or their school district, while the conservatives quietly take action. Don't know if this is universally true, but it's been my experience...
ReplyDeleteControversial Comment of the Day: One can be godless and moral simultaneously.
ReplyDeleteYou are me. Somewhere in the middle. I don't think anyone in the country really agrees with their parties stance on every issue. I would classify myself as conservative, but I would vote for a democrat if I thought he/she was more prepared to handle the situation.
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, what is up with those libs? I volunteer at my school too! ::making Jenny's halo look slightly less bright:: At my kids old school, I was the only parent that ever helped, and if they needed me, I would come with my three little ones to help. What is up with those lazy...So that makes my daughter's class 100% mormon helpers. You're welcome.
Leann, Based on your interesting discussion of extreme Democrats and extreme Republicans, I would surmise that you are an Independent.
ReplyDeleteUncle Visor, a.k.a. Memzy's Dad
You eat hummus - therefore you must love terrorists. Democrats love terrorists. So you must be a Democrat.
ReplyDelete