Tuesday, March 3, 2009

RS History

There was a major shift in the female leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the 20th century.

I know this because I have investigated it for our Relief Society Birthday deal tonight at Church.

I am not a pioneer person, I have never expressed much interest in the history of any church, and though I was a history major, I have very little interest in the genealogy aspect of the church to which I belong.

Did I mention my husband is getting a Ph.D in Religious Studies?

Anyway so as I read about the history of these women I am amazed at what I am reading. The women who serve as the general presidents of the RS (for those who don't know, it is the women's organization at church, often referred to--by ourselves--as the "largest women's organization in the world.")

Still reading?

So I consider myself a feminist, not in the sense of the "women's rights issues" or anything of that nature, I simply live a feminist life. My husband has been the primary care giver for my children longer than I have, we share household duties to a much higher level than most people, and my career takes precedence over most all other activities (hopefully besides my family).

I am not in favor of "reproductive rights" because I believe that making choices and facing natural consequences is fair and perceive abortion as the ultimate bailout of responsibility (and having four chillin's myself consider it trés sad) I don't really care if the salary of women is consistently lower than men (though if I ever worked for someone who practiced this type of "Gentleman's Club" tactics it I might change my tune). Get what I am saying here?

I consider myself a practicing, not theoretical or political, fem.

Much to my surprise, most of the presidents of RS the early days of my church were powerful women who were on the cutting edge of feminism looong before their time. Examples:

Emma Smith was the first woman to administer to other women in the temple.

Eliza R. Snow started a sericulture (silk) industry for the RS women. She also started the grain saving program in the church.

Zina Young was the VP of the Utah National Council for Women in 1891 and she attended the Women's Conference in Buffalo and National Suffrage Association convention in New York.

Bathsheba Smith was on the Board of Directors for the Deseret Hospital

Emmeline Wells was an early advocate for women's rights and used her publications to support suffrage and educational/economic opportunities for women. She hung tight was Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony and one of her great quotes is "I believe in women, especially thinking women."

Louise Robison was a delegate to the Tenth World Congress of the International Council of Women, held in Paris. She also headed the first effort of the Church to mark historical places in Nauvoo.

Clarissa Smith Williams was one of 9 US delegates to the International Council of Women in Rome. She also was responsible for creating healthy, maternity, and child welfare services with money from the closing of grain storage at the close of WWI (the US gov. forbade any group or individual from storing large quantities of food so the church had to sell grain they had been saving since 1876).

Amy Brown Lyman served in the Utah State Legislature in 1922 and helped push through the federal Sheppard-Towner Bil, which provided infant and maternity care nation-wide. She was also the first director of the welfare program of our church during WWII.

In 1968 Belle Spafford was nominated to be president of the National Council of Women. She said no because of her RS commitments, but the president of the Church (David O McKay) counseled her to accept the position.

Barbara Smith opposed the Equal Rights Amendment. She felt that it would "cause women to lose previously hard-won rights" and "lock us into a system that did not provide for the emotional, physical, or biological difference between the sexes." <<---shift.

I will not get into a discussion about why I think this shift occurred or the "therefore" but let me say that in looking at this pattern, women long before our time were doing so much to expand the rights of women. Did you know the state of Utah was among the first to extend the right to vote to women (along with Wyoming who was really desperate to increase the female population in the state). And then Utah women lost the right to vote for THIRTY years when the state was incorporated into the Union?

Amazing.

So sorry if you were bored but I was fascinated by this information. Does anyone want to come with me to this??

I never thought I would let it come to this, but I am officially hooked on the history of Mormon women. I guess I have no one to blame but myself.

15 comments:

  1. You realize, of course, that it's this kind of stuff that makes Kim think you could be a member of the Indigo Girls, right?

    I was asked to "portray" one of the past RS presidents at our RS Birthday thingy in a couple of weeks.... I hope it's Emmeline Wells cuz I could say her quote with such emotion that people will be crying. Plus, I wanna hang with Susan B. Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, but I am much more interested in your take on the "why", and the "therefore". Do you feel that the opposition to the ERA was a step backwards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I didn't even know most of that stuff about those women. That's really interesting. Good job on all the research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would TOTALLY go with you to that conference if I was still in CA. I didn't know there was anything like this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that RS president Stephanie Meyer wrote a super popular book about vampires? And that no RS presidents have ever been one of the girls on The Bachelor?

    Interesting stuff. I knew all that Utah voting history stuff. I learned it in my American history class and filed the info away to use in a future argument. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go with you. Sometimes I need to do stuff like that to feel like I'm smart. Even if I can't understand what people are saying.

    Laurel Ulrich (one of the speakers at the conference) is one of those people. So smart. But I get lost talking to her. I wish she'd speak slower. She was in my ward in Boston. She is awesome. Hanging with her is almost as cool as hanging with Susan B. Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would it surprise you terribly that I would want to go to a conference like this?

    I love Women's US History--especially the women of the west.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, now that I've read the details a little slower I have a question. Since I'm not that smart, I had to look up ERA on Wikipedia. I don't know exactly what Barbara Smith is opposing since the ERA has been around in different forms for decades. Do you see the shift as the RS leadership no longer being activists for change in general or is it specifically about the ERA? Who else besides Barbara Smith is not feminist enough or are you saying she is the pivoting point?

    Coincidentally, this morning before I read your post I had been thinking that even though I think it is great that women are doing everything they are doing, and thanks to all these historical women I don't have to worry about my basic rights, is it okay to just be content as a stay-at-home mom? I mean, to be a liberated woman does that mean I have to have a career and a life beyond my kids? Because a lot of times I wish I did, but really what it boils down to is I run out of steam really fast. (Was I like that on the mish?) I want to do more than I'm doing, but I personally don't have the capacity, and I envy and admire those (like you) who do. I tend to fill the "woman's" role in our family because frankly I'm better at it (raising kids stuff, not housekeeping. I suck at that), and my husband fills the "man's" role because frankly he chose an industry that makes triple the salary (male or female) than the industry I chose. We tend to fit in the traditional male/female roles, but not because we believe it is THE best way, but because it is the best way for our circumstances. Does that make us anti-feminist? Does being a feminist mean you can't be a stay-at-home mom? Maybe there is no hope for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you understand that one of the reasons you are my friend us so you can raise my smartness by default.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe in women, especially thinking women. That's why I frequent your blog, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must go to the Claremont conf--you would love it.

    Being in a ward leadership calling as a woman does NOT fulfill my feminist mojo. It's a bit depressing. I chalk it up to the fact that no one (not men, usually not even mothers themselves) really respects the work of mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you on the abortion issue. No one likes to take responsibility for their actions anymore. I think the ERA was a step back because all it did was create more work and expectations from women. We are now expected to hold a job and take care of kids and run a house. Not to mention all the scrap booking and canning. Sheesh I'm tired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lee -
    This is really interesting! I was unaware of the voting issue in Utah. Very cool stuff! I think a lot of women think "why not equal rights?" But just look at things now...Women want more family-friendly work places, longer maternity leaves, time off for family care....It all makes sense now. Women said "treat us the same as men." It happened and now women are having to fight to stay home with newborns, keep a job when there are sick kids at home..... I love this stuff!
    (this is Melissa, by the way, former green mint roommate!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was living in Jersey City, I checked a book out of the pathetic library called "Mormons". It was in the juvenile nonfiction section and I was curious to see just how nonfiction it was and how much anti I'd find. Written by some couple w/ the last name of Bushman. (little did I know!) Claudia wrote the part about the polygamists and wrote that the wives were sort of early feminists because they enabled each other to have careers, because Wife A would take care of Wife B's children while Wife B was getting a degree or practicing medicine. How'dya like them apples??

    ReplyDelete

Comentarios